Community hall/village hall construction

IATM

Hi All,

I have a bit of a confusing one here.

I am working on a project supporting a new build community centre and I am a little flummoxed on the best cost effect approach for it.

Originally I planned to use ICF however I think the external would get destroyed on it being a community centre.

I then thought a traditional 2 leaf of blockwork right round would be ok but now I am wondering if due to the sheer size of it, that it may require a steel frame.

Any thoughts because I am about to pull my hair out. Please see a preliminary layout

We did have an architect but he seems a little out his depth in terms of giving us so ideas on cost effective construction:

ICF

Blockwork only

Steel Frame and blockwork

Steel frame and maybe SIPS

At this stage I might even had in cow dung.

Layout Slf.png

1 minute ago, ETC said:

Highly likely that a frame of some sort will be required. Steel or glulam. External cavity blockwork is probably the best for a hall of this type. If you need some design help let me know.

Hi, I actually only came across glulam today having never heard of it before. Yes the plan was to have 2 x leafs of blockwork and render the external. If you do have any design suggesstions, anything at all you can guide me on I would be super grateful for.

Thanks

I'd have thought a steel portal frame and insulated panels would have been the cheapest as well as being very fast.  It depends on the preferred design aesthetic I suppose. 

78eff6fc0bb344a8d97423a541f09170.jpg

I do like glulam however but I seem to remember it being dearer than steel. 

15 hours ago, Iceverge said:

I'd have thought a steel portal frame and insulated panels would have been the cheapest as well as being very fast.  It depends on the preferred design aesthetic I suppose. 

78eff6fc0bb344a8d97423a541f09170.jpg

I do like glulam however but I seem to remember it being dearer than steel. 

I think this is the only option we will have and try our best to work on the aesthetic looks we would like.

Anything else seems overly complicated or overly expensive