Shower tray cracked around where the trap is

Question

Unfortunately the shower tray is cracked where the trap is.  It caused a water leak.  Please see photo and the arrow points to the cracks.  The top of the trap has been removed, so you can see the cracks.  

We have a builder trying to sort it out.  He has put some OB1 around the cracks and is planning to put some plumbers paste around it.  He says that if we step on the trap, it will crack again.   

The other option is to replace the tray and that would involve removing tiles, putting a new tray in and levelling it, etc.  Suddenly the cost will be much greater.

The shower tray came from Bathstore and it is "Tread anti-slip offsetquadrant shower tray 1200 X800". 

Do you have any suggestions?   

shower tray with arrow.jpg

Edited by Question
better photo

I wouldn't throw any significant money at it. But if it were though of as palliative care, to stretch the life of it a bit further, if it were an option to go up a size on the trap, you could try to bore/ream out the hole to suit, into an unbroken bit of material. Probably work hard and result in disaster but if your time is cheap, might be worth a go.

2 hours ago, Gareth J said:

I wouldn't throw any significant money at it. But if it were though of as palliative care, to stretch the life of it a bit further, if it were an option to go up a size on the trap, you could try to bore/ream out the hole to suit, into an unbroken bit of material. Probably work hard and result in disaster but if your time is cheap, might be worth a go.

Err, "No".

@Question, how did this damage occur?

I don't know how it occurred.   The bottom of the trap was always off the ground.  I took the cap off the top of the trap to help let the water drain away and I may have stood on it.  There is a hard plastic ring that goes above the shower tray in the circular part shown in the photo, so i would have thought it was safe.  I really don't know it occurred.  Perhaps the originally installers screwed things together too tight.

Anyway,  is there any way to repair, as replacing the shower tray is a major job and expense I would like to avoid ?

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Err, "No".

@Question,

We don't know the full context. My suggestion is unlikely to be appropriate, or without considerable ability/tools to hand/ability to make appropriate tools required, even work. But it could do.

We don't know, the OP might have access to a full machine shop and be able to knock up a carbide tipped, appropriately sized and profiled reamer, with scrap they have lying around and the shower tray might have plenty of meat in it to try. Granted, probably none of those things are the case, but you never know.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Question said:

Our builder is now removing the shower tray !!!!

We spoke to him, and he thought it was the best thing.  At least, we have a very good builder, unlike the cowboys we have had. 

Tbh, this is the best course of action, unless Dr.Evil had no further use for his “giant laser”. 😵💫💥