Renovation of a property in West Cumbria

rmillener

Hi All,

New to the forum and just started work on renovating a property that was built in 1995, in West Cumbria. The property is in good order and was an upsize for me and my young family. We are undertaking medium size work, reworking the floor layouts mainly, but also installing some large sliding doors and a new staircase as well as upstairs wall movements, with the luxury of everything upstairs being stud walled. Will also be building a brand new large garage and trying to improve the insulation of the existing house to make it more efficent.

I am trying to do as much as possible myself to learn new skills, and with my partners dad a retired joiner, it helps.... ! But I will not be able to do it all. Stumbled across the forum whilst doing some research on various parts of the renovation and it looks a great source of information.

I would like to have the majority of work completed in the next 18 months, but I am quickly learning everything takes time, and working full time in motorsport it means I am often out of the country!

Look forward to getting into the forum discussions!

Thanks
Rich

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rmillener said:

Hi All,

New to the forum and just started work on renovating a property that was built in 1995, in West Cumbria. The property is in good order and was an upsize for me and my young family. We are undertaking medium size work, reworking the floor layouts mainly, but also installing some large sliding doors and a new staircase as well as upstairs wall movements, with the luxury of everything upstairs being stud walled. Will also be building a brand new large garage and trying to improve the insulation of the existing house to make it more efficent.

I am trying to do as much as possible myself to learn new skills, and with my partners dad a retired joiner, it helps.... ! But I will not be able to do it all. Stumbled across the forum whilst doing some research on various parts of the renovation and it looks a great source of information.

I would like to have the majority of work completed in the next 18 months, but I am quickly learning everything takes time, and working full time in motorsport it means I am often out of the country!

Look forward to getting into the forum discussions!

Thanks
Rich

Welcome to BH.

You'll learn loads here.. save a bit of cash. maybe lots and get to correspond with good pragmatic folk.

To get the best out of BH you need to give a bit back and share your knowledge!

Seems like we've got a proper west Cumbria gang here with me being just a bit close to the coast than Papillon. 

We wanted to do similar to you with our renovation but had to scale it back due to massive cost increases but the forum has been a gold mine for advice for me.

In the end we've largely gone for massively increasing the insulation(Inc ewi) and assorted smaller improvements.