Always Land Hunting Newbie

MrSearching

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, seeking advice about land.

I have a severe unknown disability consequently, making me electric wheelchair bound unable to walk. I have a fiancée and currently living on the south coast of England in an apartment.

Due to myself being CEV as a result of coronavirus, my life has changed, I have to self-isolate as much as possible as catching the virus would be detrimental to my health. Living or somewhat stuck inside an apartment for three years, makes you want to breath and have a change of scenery.

We’ve been looking for a house for over a year, visited countless properties and unfortunately none are suitable. In the long run, it would cost too much money to redesign the property for my access needs: I.e, change the layout, downstairs bedroom and wheelchair accessible bathroom etc.. this list goes on!

We have now come to the conclusion that buying a piece of land for a self-build, would be a better option. 

However, we are having trouble finding a piece of suitable land in the Hampshire, Suffolk, Whiltshire (border with Hampshire area). 

Our main route of hunting for land, is mainly through popular property websites and this has hardly given any results. Estate agents, we are registered with, do not really deal with selling land and so far everything feels like it has come to a standstill. Some land we have looked at is very cheap but will never have planning permission granted (agricultural ties or protected).

My question really comes down to this: what is the best way to find a piece of land? Are we missing something?

I.e should I contact local farmers, or community groups? 

Are there any popular land agents that I have missed?

Word-of-mouth?

Also is it better to look at land with no planning permission and start from scratch or search for land with planning permission?

We are really running out of ideas, and even contemplating about buying a derelict house to knock down and rebuild.

Any help, advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

George

As you are housebound, does that not surely work to your significant advantage as it doesn’t restrict to a particular (expensive) area of England? Where good plots are expensive and hard to find as you know.

Why not go further afield.  This will allow you to increase your build budget as you plot budget will be less.  Means you can get rural plots with amazing views, plenty of space for a one storey build, and you can perhaps upgrade ventilation systems that could improve your health.    Increases chances of you being able to get everything you need from your build wish list.

sorry to hear about your health challenges.

Edited by Bozza

Assuming you have failed via plot finder type websites then only other options I can suggest are:

the various churches sell properties via their websites, and I’ve seen plots being sold occasionally 

or as you say many find the demo of rubbish buildings the way forward, whether residential or commercial, Or buy a house with a huge garden, build a new house then split the plot and sell the original house.  Expensive options though.

The one advantage of replacing an existing house is that the costs for services connections etc are usually significantly cheaper than running’s  them to an unserviced plot.  Less profit will usually be made be replacing an existing house but I sense that’s not your real priority.  

I trust you have an appropriate budget for your requirements.

We ended up buying a bungalow with a generous plot that will (hopefully) allow for a larger replacement home. For us, it was mostly the location, but I think there are a number of others pros to bungalow hunting:

Can search for on Rightmove etc.

Already have services

Already a dwelling / in a settlement boundary - no worries about trying to get change of use etc.

But as Bozza said, it isn't necessarily the cheapest option..