Leaking gutter/roof

Buildingup

Hi everyone, apologies for my first post being long and boring.

I have been getting a leak in the upstairs bedroom right at the party wall line. I hacked out the plaster and the water seems to be coming in at an angle like it starts at their side and travels sideways into mine.

I have concrete gutters and my leak seemed (can't be sure) to happen after my neighbours changed theirs to PVC.  Neighbours say they have no problems when but the water seem to spread from their side of the party wall line.

I've been getting roofers in (bloody hard, half don't even show up!) but they all have a different opinion. If at least 2 agreed I would try that.

Roofer 1: Said the problem is down to the neighbours where they have had their gutter attached badly to ours. I kept offering him money to write a report that I could take to the neighbours but fell out of contact so I called another in expecting the same diagnosis.

Roofer 2: Said it was all the moss on the roof holding the water in and causing it to get behind the tiles. Quoted me £850 and a days work.  As this was completely different to the 1st roofer I got a third opinion.

Roofer 3: Didn't even get out of his van, immediately said it was our concrete gutter and I would have to replace. It may well be the gutter but I can't trust some one who doesn't even look so I called another out.

Roofer 4: Said I had a broken tile in that location so he replaced it and said call him back if it didn't sort it. It didn't, and each time I called him back he didn't show up.

Roofer 5: Said the membrane under the lower courses of tiles was an old plastic type and to change it for a new one. £2500 + VAT

Roofer 6: Fitted some sort of lead insert underneath the lowest tile as he thought water might be running back behind the tile. He said if it doesn't fix it the next step is take off the tiles and re-do the membrane under the entire roof.

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to proceed here as I have told each roofer what the previous ones have suggested it could be and they all come out with something different.

Pictures are here as they are a tad large for the forum https://imgur.com/a/JSdFbBI

If this is a terrace and most others have changed to PVC you could do the same.

You can get the gutter cleaned out with a long reach vacuum for around £100.

It has rained a lot.  It is all gutters, damp and leaks at the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply I've been away.

While I am not opposed to changing out the guttering I would like to know that is the source of the problem first. As I've had no consensus from the roofers I didn't want to pay thousands only to find out that wasn't the problem.

I will try cleaning out the gutters and putting some Acrypol around the joint between the gutters.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be listening to the roofers that say your membrane needs replacing.

Assuming your gutters aren’t blocked and overflowing, then even if these leak it shouldn’t be causing that problem. 

looking at your roof you don’t have enough overlap on your tiles, so wind blown rain is getting under your tiles and through a perished membrane. 

• 4 weeks later...