Help connecting up system!

pilgrim

I am after some advice about the best way to connect up my heating system.

I've got an air source heat pump to hear underfloor heating down stairs and radiators upstairs. I know that I probably won't need the radiators upstairs but want to put in the plumbing now while I've got the ceilings down just in case!

The hot water cylinders are upstairs so I was thinking I could split the hot feed coming out to send one feed downstairs to the underfloor heating and one feed to the radiators.

There is a pump connected to the ufh manifold so can I remove the pump by the 26l cylinder shown in the diagram and add in another pump to just feed the radiators? (Badly drawn in red on the diagram!)

There will only be 3 radiators upstairs.

Downstairs I have a 4 port manifold with all ports in use as I am going to be building a single story extension on to the kitchen at some point.

Also what diameter hep2o pipe would be best to supply the ufh manifold with?

Sorry if the pictures aren't clear but I'm on the mobile at the moment and haven't slept much recently 😂

Thank you

PXL_20230124_110644572~2.jpg

V3 - T Pilgrim - 335056-Drawing.PDF

Is anyone able to offer me some guidance on this schematic?

I am confused by the pump set up after the buffer tank labelled 26L LLH on the diagram i was provided by the company that supplied the kit.

Ive got a pump on the UFH manifold so with the pump in this position wont that mean I need to have both running to run the UFH? can I move it to after the tee off for the UFH and then set it up so that the radiator thermostats control that pump?

image.png.dccc170eb8721aa17db11394489b6d80.png

3 hours ago, pilgrim said:

I am confused by the pump set up after the buffer tank labelled 26L LLH on the diagram i was provided by the company that supplied the kit.

Ive got a pump on the UFH manifold so with the pump in this position wont that mean I need to have both running to run the UFH?

The pump is there to put flow onto each of the heating circuits. You cannot move it to after the T as you'll then be sucking water backwards out of the UFH circuit.

What you can do is T the 2 pipes coming out of the LLH and install swing-check non return valves on them. Then the one to the UFH manifold pump can be left 'pump free' and the pump can simply be installed on the leg feeding the rads. If the rads aren't getting fitted now, don't fit the pump.

How close to the LLH is the UFH manifold + pump & TMV?

If that's 5m horizontally then you''l likely only need to pump the rads,  but tbh I'd prob leave the pump where it is and run with the design you've been given. If you're really concerned about running that extra pump then delete it and just cap end the run to the rads circuit and manage without it until / if you decide to install the rads.

Thank you @Nickfromwales Its about 3m of vertical pipe down to the UFH manifold, radiators are about 1 m lower than the LLH.

I'll leave it capped for now just want to make sure I leave enough room for the radiator controls if and when I decide to do it.

As long as I can get my hot water working in the next week I will be happy!

4 minutes ago, pilgrim said:

Thank you @Nickfromwales Its about 3m of vertical pipe down to the UFH manifold, radiators are about 1 m lower than the LLH.

I'll leave it capped for now just want to make sure I leave enough room for the radiator controls if and when I decide to do it.

As long as I can get my hot water working in the next week I will be happy!

OK, that MAY work without the additional pump, but you'd have to accept a trial & error install and the plumber having to chop the pump in, in the event of it not performing as we'd hope.

Up to you to accept that, as it flies in the face of your plumber.

hehe well im the "plumber"! just had the heat pump kit provided by a local green energy company so I can get the BUS grant. I'll see how cold I get next winter and see if I need additional radiators, for now I'll run the pipes under the floor so they are easy to fish out and connect up if needed. 

If Im cold next winter I'll start another thread here!