Zigbee vs z wave

My HA is all z wave .

It’s pretty reliable . All powered no batteries . Can be slow responding for non obvious reasons at random intervals .

Walk in a room , light turns on within a second . Other times 2 or 3 seconds . Occasionally 30 seconds ( once I’ve finished swearing )

It’s hard to know the issue . Z wave can only do 4 hops max and the amount of data is going to be small . A 30 second delay seems ridiculous.

Anyway . Decided to get some zigbee stuff as a test . Christ is this stuff cheap if you get it direct from the land of the rising sun ! . Makes z wave seem very expensive .

Anyone had zigbee for a while ???

Yes, had it for a couple of years. Gave up on Z-wave some time ago. MyZ-wave devices were quite old and not very reliable, the more modern Z-wave devices were better, but they're all expensive.

Zigbee has been pretty good, for a reliable network you do seem to need a few permanently powered devices to act as hubs; if you have a few of those the battery powered sensors work well.

(The Drayton Wiser heating control system uses a different flavour of Zigbee and was not very reliable, had to add 3 switched sockets to get the network to be fairly stable.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, billt said:

Yes, had it for a couple of years. Gave up on Z-wave some time ago. MyZ-wave devices were quite old and not very reliable, the more modern Z-wave devices were better, but they're all expensive.

Zigbee has been pretty good, for a reliable network you do seem to need a few permanently powered devices to act as hubs; if you have a few of those the battery powered sensors work well.

(The Drayton Wiser heating control system uses a different flavour of Zigbee and was not very reliable, had to add 3 switched sockets to get the network to be fairly stable.

Yeah I always have things mains powered . I think newer z wave is better - but I do have some older z wave legacy components in place .

Going to do a simple test once zigbee stuff arrives .

2 lights in a room , one z wave controlled other zigbee . Both triggered by the same Method at the same time . Both just 1 hop away from corresponding usb stick . Be interesting to see the ‘delay’ on either . But as you say ; time to probably move away from z wave .

Edited by pocster