What 5kW Heat Pump for Homely (Modbus)?

Ewan

Vaillant 5kW (2.2kW turndown) was our preferred choice but is not compatible with Homely. Samsung HTQs start at 8kW, so a possibly a bit big, assuming a 1/3rd turndown of 2.6kW.

What other heat pump with modbus for Homely should we be considering?

Midea 6kW? Or badger the crap out of evergreen energy until they add support for other heatpumps.

Homely is either Samsung or midea at the moment. You could always for the the smallest Samsung gen6, I see no need to go for the HTQ.

Edited by HughF

+1 for the Samsung Gen 6. It's pretty cheap and, if designed and installed properly should be pretty much as efficient as the newer models. Just bought the 8kW version, I was going to use a Vaillant but decided the price premium wasn't justified.

Samsung Gen 6 could work, although it's a little noisier at 61dB and we're right on the borderline with MCS noise calcs, I'll have to move it along a bit. Eats up our space for other planned uses but could be worth considering.

Midea 6kW could be a good shout.

Going in search of technical data (mostly turndown) on these now..

If you do go for the Samsung gen6, make sure to follow the midsummer wholesale installation guide which instructs you to use a pwm primary pump and use the Samsung controller as the room stat. 

the alternative, freedom heatpumps, instructions suggest a non-pwm primary pump and an external stat. 

although, if you go down the homely route then that will take care of all the stat and room temp stuff for you.

Edited by HughF

4 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

May depend if you are UFH or rads. Or just spend the time fine tuning weather or load compensation. Not sure it does much more than that anyway.

UFH downstairs rads upstairs.

Make much odds?

1 hour ago, Ewan said:

Make much odds?

Yes.  You may well need hotter water for the rads than you do for the UFH.  If so, when the rads are not calling for heat you want the heat pump to react to this by reducing its output water temperature to match the UFH.  If you cannot do this then you cannot derive any economic benefits from the UFH. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ewan said:

Make much odds?

Yep, you’ll need to either size the rads to suit the flow temp of the ufh, or run the system at a higher rad temperature then use a decent blending/pump station on the ufh. Hydraulic separation can come from close coupled Ts on the return pipework.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnMo said:

May depend if you are UFH or rads. Or just spend the time fine tuning weather or load compensation. Not sure it does much more than that anyway.

Show me a heat pump controller that does load compensation 🤣

*LG and Mitsubishi are the only two that spring to mind, and they don’t even call it that.

2 hours ago, HughF said:

Show me a heat pump controller that does load compensation

That's possibly me thinking these super modern heat pumps, would be ahead or at least match of my gas boilers 10 to 15 year old technology.