New Build Intro

Nytram

Catching up on the comments.

Firstly yes more than happy to take feedback, its good to get alternate views. 

Why glass at front? - Yes front area will be the useable garden - a courtyard garden south facing, so we want to make the most of the view from in the  living area. 

Why so much on ground floor with limited upper floor? - A couple of reasons, 1. we dont want to overpower the existing property as we will be selling that once build is complete so key to have minimal impact (on reslae value whilst delivering what we want in new build). 2. We will move into the new build and expect it to be where we will live out our later years, so ensuring we will have all we need to be comfortable on the groundfloor should stairs become an issue. 

Large living space? - yes its big! Today we have Kitchen,+dining room plus a Living room which together make a similar size, We have big furniture!  We are also doing more detail on how to best use the space and maximise Kitchen furniture. The planning pictures are for planning approval and dont reflect how the internal furniture will necessarily be placed    

Narrowness of corridor on bedroom block? - Good point I hadnt really considered it as narrow will revisit. 

Please keep the comments coming 

• Like 1

Even if this is your forever home, it's a good idea to think about it on the open market.

Did your architect/designer visit you in current home establishing what elements you like and what you don't?  Probably not.  

This one is not to far away from us and took years to sell, many different estate agents had a dabble they even tried to raffle it.  

Hideaway, Barton Road, Market Bosworth 5 bed detached house (onthemarket.com)

Admittedly bigger room than yours room at 142m2   [our first 3 bed semi was 83m2 for all the rooms in and people thought it relatively spacious !! ]

I happened to speak to one of the estate agents trying to sell it, who I sort of knew [not the on on this advert] and he said viewers / people just couldn't get their head round this size of room in a house, and what to do with it, it was just daunting.

Have you thought about a utility/laundry room up in the bedroom block - most people [including us] use their utility room for laundry and it is nowhere near to the main source of the washing [bedrooms] so near the bedrooms / bottom of stairs would a convenient point.

The bottom right may need a bit of sorting - the guest loo seems to be building regs minimum size, a bit of sorting and you could have a nice large cloak room [for cloaks and hats] with loo going off from it as, although not a problem now, but you have a single door from the loo to the kitchen, a shame in this size of property.  You could even have an extra door from the plant room to the loo so if you want to turn your bike around whist gardening you don't have to traipse through the hall / utility with muddy shoes.  or you could make that area into a sort of butler kitchen [a thing I didn't know existed until recently].  

A minor thing but you need a stub wall on the wardrobe at the top, just as you go through the door, if you want to claim VAT back on the wardrobe doors.

Oh.... remember at all times this is your house, to be built with your money, to live in, not your architects vanity project for his glossy brochure.

Hope it all goes well, Good Luck.

Edited by Blooda
  • Like 1

Our living room/dining room/kitchen is also one big room albeit quite a bit smaller than yours at 10.4m by 6.3m. The living room area is vaulted and the rest isn’t. I was a bit concerned about the big room too but because it’s rectangular it naturally splits into three areas. That said, we also have a separate family room which is 5.4mx3.7m. We think we’ll probably spend the daytime in the open plan bit and evenings in the family room. My other thinks we’ll never use it. 😂