Hi all, lintel advice needed please

funkyboy

Hi All, 

My elderly parents are having some work done this week for a barrier damp course. The builders said there's no lintel above the external back door. House is 90 years old current door been in about 20 years.

Any advice please worried sick about them 

Compress_20230109_225146_6734.jpg

That might not be the case. I had the same thought about my bathroom window, I have just had a lean to extension on the side of the bungalow so they needed concrete lintels installing for the additional load, and when the builders took the bricks out they found a steel angle lintel, it was just small enough you couldn't see anything was there. Stick a drill in the mortar directly above the timber, and you should eventually hit metal.

That brickwork hasn't been touched since construction so I doubt there's a lintel there.

It'll be arching over and the upvc carrying some load - does the door stick at all?

Now is the time to do it. Would take a builder half a day to sort out.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2023 at 09:51, George said:

That brickwork hasn't been touched since construction so I doubt there's a lintel there.

It'll be arching over and the upvc carrying some load - does the door stick at all?

Now is the time to do it. Would take a builder half a day to sort out.

Can you post a photo of the whole wall so we can see what is above and what kind of loads may be acting on the opening?

I ask as there is a "funny joint" to the right side on the brickwork.

Don't be shy as you'll get loads of good advice from @George and some form me too and others.