Air in Solar Thermal

Chriswills

I have recently had my solar system upgraded with a pump station and new pipe work (as much as possible) but not the actual roof tubes or components. I now seem to be getting a lot of air in the system and thus the pump not being able to run when its warm on the roof. It runs fine but there is no circulation. I have bled at the solar station a number of times but does nothing. The old system had an auto vent near the tank but the new one does not. Should I have one installed to cure this? Pics attached of the roof images only (they are now lagged!)

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 15.16.05.PNG

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 15.14.03.PNG

If youve had the system stripped it can take a while to get the slugs of air out of the system. An auto air vent will catch any bubbles circulating and stop them accumulating. I'm not sure what you define as the solar station but you definitely want to be venting the collector on the roof

The new water in the system will degas over time, just keep bleeding the roof vent. There is very little space for it to accumulate so only a small air lock will stop the circulation. 

I would advise against a bottle air vent on the roof, even the solar rated ones die in my experience.  Ok to have one inside, preferably on the cold side of the system . 

• Like 1

You should be able to get it circulating by manually venting the system. An auto vent will clear circulating bubbles and stop them accumulating but manual venting will get any big slugs of air out so an auto vent wont be required to get the system running.

Is there a non return valve and has it been fitted the right way? Pump is fitted the correct way round? Have you followed the pipework from the filling point and checked theres no closed valves and that flow and return pipework rises from the lowest point to the highest point?

Is this a pressurised or drainback system. If pressurised, what's the pressure?  Is there any pipework that could airlock? Check all valves are open. 

Photo of your pump station please 🙏

Must be something simple...

We fitted an autovent today anyway to try it, but in doing so also checked the existing fittings and found a small leak (probably more of a leak under higher pressures in heat).

Have taped up the joins with PTFE for now until we can source some new O rings to replace the existing. 

The panel is the Thermomax DF100 and you can see from the picture x2 rings that have perished, I believe they are EPDM but would be grateful if anyone knew where I could get spares. Going to change the opposite side too while we are there.

230de125-787a-482d-b59e-ff8950ce0d23.JPG

• Like 1

Imagine the stagnation temperature of you panel, its over 200 degrees C so the O ring had to be very high temperature resistant.  I dont know for certain but Viton might be better than EPDM, I would have look on line and do a bit of research. 

Those thermomax panels are really high end kit, lucky you :)

21 minutes ago, Miek said:

Imagine the stagnation temperature of you panel, its over 200 degrees C so the O ring had to be very high temperature resistant.  I dont know for certain but Viton might be better than EPDM, I would have look on line and do a bit of research. 

Those thermomax panels are really high end kit, lucky you :)

Thanks, the manual showed the ring as EPDM but maybe thats why its perished, ill take a look at Viton too

Diolch..