Cladding over EWI

phatboy

Hi all,

On our extension project, 1 wall is to have some kind of cladding over the EWI (The rest will be rendered).  We already have the Kingspan K5 boards for the job.

I'm struggling to find a good detail on how to deal with the clad wall.  Should the boards be fixed as usual, and then a sort of Tyvek be fixed, then cladding battens?  Or should I have the boards base-coated, then battens?  I'm a bit lost to be honest, and the internet, so far, hasn't had much to offer.

Thanks!

Tim

On 29/12/2022 at 09:05, Wumpus said:

Ours was finished with ply sarking and Tyvec over, then battens etc.

The sarking is mechanically fixed to the insulation with plastic fixings to minimise thermal bridging.

Interesting... I don't suppose you have any photos, or a construction detail do you?

I am wondering if I did that up to the boundary, Building Control would be concerned about its fire rating?

Please ignore if this is not helpful. We are also planning to install wood cladding over EWI. I thought page 26 of the linked pdf was useful. They suggest two methods, one similar to the one suggested (unfortunately without details of the fixings) and the other a double layer of insulation within a framework.

https://www.robbins.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/TTF-Cladding-Handbook.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2023 at 13:36, Lemna gibba said:

Please ignore if this is not helpful. We are also planning to install wood cladding over EWI. I thought page 26 of the linked pdf was useful. They suggest two methods, one similar to the one suggested (unfortunately without details of the fixings) and the other a double layer of insulation within a framework.

https://www.robbins.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/TTF-Cladding-Handbook.pdf

That is of some help yes, thank you.

As I want vertical cladding I think I need to fit timber between the insulation boards to the wall vertically, to a few mm thicker than the insulation, then some horizontal battens over to mount the cladding to.  If we use cladding with gaps, we will use some composite decking battens, as they are weatherproof and black.

Or as @Wumpus mentioned, board over the insulation and fix through, but then I'd need vertical then horizontal battens, so it's getting a bit thick then!