ASHP - Samsung Gen 6 - Water Law and the correct settings for Low and High Temps

Siggles

Thanks for the replies. So my living room thermostat is currently showing 23 degrees (also solar gain) and my bedroom is 19 degrees, the Samsung controller is always 20.0.

I've gone through all the settings and nothing is set to 20.0. Does this number affect how the heat pump operates? I'm using water law with the thermostats switching on/off at their set temps.

55 minutes ago, Squiggle said:

Thanks for the replies. So my living room thermostat is currently showing 23 degrees (also solar gain) and my bedroom is 19 degrees, the Samsung controller is always 20.0.

I've gone through all the settings and nothing is set to 20.0. Does this number affect how the heat pump operates? I'm using water law with the thermostats switching on/off at their set temps.

You are correct there are a lot of settings, but I use water law and an external thermostat, and this temp has no bearing on the operation of my HP. initially my control was next to the cylinder, and always read 1.5-2 deg more than the thermostat that controls the house temp,  and the HP worked as required. i.e. the system controller could say 20 deg, if my room stat was at 18 and my set point 19 the HP would be on. switching off at 19.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/01/2024 at 16:21, Jenki said:

You are correct there are a lot of settings, but I use water law and an external thermostat, and this temp has no bearing on the operation of my HP. initially my control was next to the cylinder, and always read 1.5-2 deg more than the thermostat that controls the house temp,  and the HP worked as required. i.e. the system controller could say 20 deg, if my room stat was at 18 and my set point 19 the HP would be on. switching off at 19.

Oops, seems I have started off well on this forum, copied the quote but not written my bit - that will follow. Just to read the manuals needs a.PhD! 

Edited by Tony t
Messed up the original post.

Hi jenki, I'm new, joined to ask you a question.  I have a similar set up but only radiators. The installer put the controller and wired remote inside the cupboard where the circulating pump and loads of pipes are, I'm assuming the indoor temperature is taken from that - so it is obviously high. I've studied the books but can't see how to change it to add a remote thermister ( two came with the kit). 

That's my first question, I expect more will follow.

6 hours ago, Tony t said:

Hi jenki, I'm new, joined to ask you a question.  I have a similar set up but only radiators. The installer put the controller and wired remote inside the cupboard where the circulating pump and loads of pipes are, I'm assuming the indoor temperature is taken from that - so it is obviously high. I've studied the books but can't see how to change it to add a remote thermister ( two came with the kit). 

That's my first question, I expect more will follow.

@Tony t If you've looked at the manuals there are many options. And I am far from an expert. Mine is working and I'm scared to touch it again, but need to work on DHW at some point.

I have a separate controller to time my heating, and thus it uses the temperature of this unit. The controller has no effect on it. How is yours controlled?

18 hours ago, Jenki said:

@Tony t If you've looked at the manuals there are many options. And I am far from an expert. Mine is working and I'm scared to touch it again, but need to work on DHW at some point.

I have a separate controller to time my heating, and thus it uses the temperature of this unit. The controller has no effect on it. How is yours controlled?

Hi jenki,

I w hoping you would say connect thermister to terminal xxx! Life is not that simple nowadays it all started to go downhill with the invention of the computer 

My dhw is working well, it has a tempest cylinder, commenced through a 3 way valve to the hp and the immersion heater is called a booster heater in the books. The thermister is in the lower of the two positions on the tank. The heat range is normally limited to 55C but as my wife likes a lot of hot bath water I also have the booster pump turned on as 55 is more than my hp is set for. I am going to set some times so the majority of heating for the water is fitting economy 7 time, but once it's sunny I will probably change it to daytime too use the solar input.

If you need more detail then just shout.

I have a solex inverter, it's taken me days and many phone calls to get the thing showing on my phone or pc, today I have succeeded! My router is not strong enough to reach the garage reliably.

The room remote isn't supplied with the heat pump, but it's not that expensive. https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/samsung-heat-pumps/Remote-Temperature-Sensor-MRW-TA

I suspect that the spares you have are intended to control a mixing valve, if they have the right characteristics they'll work but they aren't pretty and I doubt that they are the same as the remote temperature sensor.

The remote room temp sensor plugs into a connector marked 'ROOM' on the MIM controller board.

Roomtemp.thumb.jpg.ea2b0d6a8ce20d7a12fe523b1470df32.jpg

You also need to enable it from the remote controller. I think its FSV 2093, but I'm not sure.

Brilliant. The ones I have are just a thermistor on the end of a long lead, the proper ones will look rather better unless I can hide it somewhere. I would have thought the room temp wherever it is taken should effect water law, but who knows what's hidden in those chips.

"Water Law" seems to be what is generally called "Weather Compensation" in the UK.  Weather Compensation is unaffected by room temperature.  But there is also "Load Compensation" where the heat source will work harder the further away the actual room temperature is from the desired room temperature set on the room thermostat.  Load Compensation works very well maintaining a constant room temperature but it could reduce your heat pump efficiency by making it work harder when the room temperature needs to be increased rapidly.  On the other hand, getting a room up to temperature quickly will boost your comfort so its swings and roundabouts.