Temporary kitchen and bathroom in garage during build

Andrewb

Good evening,

The extension we are planning to build will involve demolishing the existing kitchen and bathroom, so I'm considering our options during the build. 

My preferred option is to fit out the garage with a kitchen and bathroom, rather than a caravan or similar. We have two small children, so going to and fro to a caravan wouldn't work well at all.

I'm expecting the build to be relatively slow, with DIY elements, so we won't want to move out during the work.

It would also serve as a utility room for a while after the extension, until we get round to doing the extension planned for that area of the house.

I would plan to insulate the floor with 150mm PIR to make it level with the house, infill the garage door with an insulated stud wall with window, plasterboard and loftroll the ceiling (pitched roof) and do a simple fit out with kitchen and partitioned room for a shower. Drainage needs to be dug to this location for the future anyway, so will put that in.

I thought I would post, to get opinions on this as a general plan - perhaps there are options I've not thought of? And also to ask if there were any particular issues I should be aware of for building regs. Are there any particular regs for temporary accommodation?

One part I'm a bit unsure of is infilling the garage door. There's not really any foundation across the garage door, just 200mm of concrete, could that be acceptable for a lightweight construction infilling the gap?

Any advice much appreciated!

When we did the same as you a few years back we were able to plan the build to use the old dining room area as a temp kitchen.  Divided it off with plastic sheeting and temp stud partition.  A bit grim as expected.  Do you have another room in the house you could use as a temp kitchen, even a bedroom?

We were quite surprised at how small a temp kitchen(ette) we were able to cope and function with with TBH.  Basically a 6ft table as a worktop with  microwave, single hob & kettle, and a f/f.

If you must use your garage, I don’t know, but would imagine building control would have requirements.  On top of that think about any implications regarding your buildings insurance.