Inverter Smart Meter Connection

S2D2

Quick question on something my PV installer mentioned that isn't clear from the inverter installation manual:

Is a hybrid inverter plugged directly in to the electric smart meter for the property or is there just a CT clamp anywhere on the tails before the consumer unit? The installation manual for the Solax kit suggests either is posible but it seems to suggest a connection to a second meter installed before the consumer unit rather than just the household smart meter. The installer suggested a direct connection to the smart meter (though it was ambiguous, I will clarify when they come back) which would be a much more convoluted route and likely leave a lot of ugly trunking in the garage. Just wondering if this is normal or not?

Thanks

11 hours ago, S2D2 said:

he installer suggested a direct connection to the smart meter

I think it is illegal to tamper with a revenue meter, though they may have a connection that allows for this.

It may use the smart meters wireless connection, but they are proving to be unreliable.

• Like 1

I am not sure the installer is asking the question clearly.

There is an optical communication port on most meters, is he talking about that?

Or is he suggesting you don't need to install your own generation meter as he thinks the smart meter can do that function?  It won't, it will register how much has been exported but not generation, so Iwould fit your own generation meter regardless.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 07:39, SteamyTea said:

I think it is illegal to tamper with a revenue meter, though they may have a connection that allows for this.

On 12/12/2022 at 08:21, ProDave said:

Or is he suggesting you don't need to install your own generation meter as he thinks the smart meter can do that function?

Thanks both, I'm no closer to clarification unfortunately, they're coming back next week though. To expand a little it's just a data connection I'm talking about, not power. Here's the installation manual:

https://kb.solaxpower.com/image/68499e58090d4aafa0fb6d0545d4f2c1/2022-11-14/aceecfb2d55c951ce2334351692f3825.pdf

The meter Solax sell comes with a CT clamp too, so it seems both are required not either. I had assumed the meter might have it built in:

https://www.itstechnologies.shop/collections/solax-batteries/products/solax-chint-single-phase-ct-energy-meter

And based on the installation manual it seems it can go anywhere between the household meter and the house load (consumer unit). No idea what he was on about with having to run a cable to the smart meter then.

2 minutes ago, S2D2 said:

And based on the installation manual it seems it can go anywhere between the household meter and the house load (consumer unit). No idea what he was on about with having to run a cable to the smart meter then.

Assuming the inverter is not mounted right next to your electricity meter, then all he is meaning is you have to get a cable from wherever the inverter is, to your incoming supply point to get that current clamp onto the supply cable.  He does not literally mean the cable connects to the smart meter, but the the current clamp that is in the vicinity of the smart meter.

On 17/12/2022 at 10:15, ProDave said:

you have to get a cable from wherever the inverter is, to your incoming supply point

Yes, this is the case. I was confused as to why the location of the CT clamp mattered along the cable but have finally spoken to the electrician and the actual reason is that he's not happy to fit a connecting block to the tails within a stud wall and wants it to remain accessible, hence they want to do it in the meter box and run the electric cable from there. Ugly cable across the garage it is then.

2 minutes ago, S2D2 said:

Yes, this is the case. I was confused as to why the location of the CT clamp mattered along the cable but have finally spoken to the electrician and the actual reason is that he's not happy to fit a connecting block to the tails within a stud wall and wants it to remain accessible, hence they want to do it in the meter box and run the electric cable from there. Ugly cable across the garage it is then.

If there is only 1 CU and there is enough of a loop on the supply cable it might fit inside the CU.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2022 at 09:05, ProDave said:

If there is only 1 CU and there is enough of a loop on the supply cable it might fit inside the CU.

Thanks both, unfortunately not enough room in the CU but it was trunked neatly at ceiling level so could be a lot worse.