Posi Joist Floor Restraint

BadgerBadger

Hi all, I'm just checking I've got a detail right before we order our floor!

Structural engineering drawings mention "joists parallel to walls to be strapped to inner leaf..." and sure enough all our floor supplier designs are showing restraint straps at 90-degrees to the joist direction.  We are using masonry hangers (probably a rapid build variant to aid build sequence) but all hangers specified appear to be standard non-restraint types.

So my question is whether I need any restraint straps running inline at the ends the joists too?  Structural engineering drawing is silent on the matter.

Reading NHBC guidance it states:

Restraint straps should be provided along the direction of the joists and spaced at a maximum of 2m centres. They are not generally required at the ends of joists in buildings up to, and including, two storeys where:

• restraint type joist hangers in accordance with Technical Requirement R3 are used, or
  • joists are built into a wall and bear at least 90mm on the wall.

We've decided not to build joists into the external wall to help with airtightness, and so am I right in thinking I should therefore be using restraint type hangers or adding restraints straps to the joist ends?

(it just seems odd I'm having to push for it to be specified!)

Edited by BadgerBadger

They need to be at joist ends and perpendicular at 2.0m spacing.  They are meant to restrain the walls.

With engineered you can put them on the strongbacks and through the wall.

Strongtie do thin versions that you can put on top the joists, but check with the SE that they are acceptable.