Kitchen extension ideas and costs

EmmaSp

Hi,

We are looking at a house which has already a kitchen extension to the back, and where I believe the side where the garage is has also been extended to the back to create a utility room, and part of the garage was converted into a toilet. 

I’d like to ask for your view with regard to the costs to make some changes, and also your suggestion in what would make more sense (eg once you do make some work, maybe better to do a bigger extension than a smaller one, in relative terms?).

Options we are considering:

Option A 
- extend the kitchen to the side (green area in the floor plan), moving all existing kitchen cabinets, as the kitchen is fairly new (can it be done, or do we need a new kitchen?) and adding an island.
- move the utility room to the small garage, so that the kitchen can be extended into that area too
- close off the side door into the kitchen and opening a front door instead (see blue door), which means the oven and fridge need to be moved.

Option B
- extend the kitchen to the side and back (red area in the floor plan), moving all existing kitchen cabinets and adding an island.
- all other steps same as option A

Option C
- same as B, but the utility room stays where it is. Not sure how bad this would look.

For the costs, location is south east England.

Is option A too small of an extension that doesn’t make too much sense?

Also, do you see this kind of improvements as being a bit of a waste, given the extension is quite recent and possibly this means having to replace the kitchen altogether, which is fairly new? 

Thanks!

686ED0C1-7CBB-49C0-A715-C78A9F6E563D.jpeg

• jack locked this topic

Hi @EmmaSp, welcome to BuildHub.

I see that you've posted the same question in the "House Extensions and Conservatories" sub-forum here:

To avoid splitting answers across two posts, questions should be posted only once. I think the "House Extensions and Conservatories" sub-forum is the more appropriate of the two you posted in, so I've locked this post. People can find the other one by following the link above.