Waiting time for grout and sealant

Hi all, 

Needing a little advice:

We've just gotten a new bath fitted today, and new tiles put in at two (narrow) ends of the bath. The bathroom fitter is returning tomorrow to apply grout and seal the bath. I get the feeling he's wanting to finish the job in the shortest amount of time (somewhat understandable), but I thought some time had to be given in between putting the grout and the sealant? 

Can anyone advise how long should the waiting time be?

Many thanks.

On 04/07/2017 at 19:58, bassanclan said:

No need to leave time in between grouting and sealing, you can do both on the same day.

Not if it's a silicone :/

Silicone won't stick to wet or even damp grout. It may last the day but it won't last long after. If using a non-silicone such as CT1 then if SPOTLESSLY clean and grout residue free you could seal the same day but not directly after. 

If there was a days worth of grouting then you would wait, but on a small job, such as this must be I'd get the grout on first thing in the morning, cleaned up and touch dry to be siliconed in the afternoon. I'd not want to have to go back for another half day, nor keep the customer without a bath for that extra day.

I would never silicone the same day as grouting, ever. Anyone doing this ( properly ) for a living would know you can't get silicone to stick to even damp grout. :/

Coming back to seal up the next day / eve is the norm, and with the sealing around a bath or shower being so fundamentally important, I'd not want that rushed TBH.

Not wanting to wait another day is just impatience and we know where that leads to ;).......

"Darling, what's that damp patch on the living room ceiling?" and more importantly how long has it been leaking before we noticed it O.o

Everest fitted a £30k aluminium conservatory / sunroom where I am at the mo, and they listened to the customers request to forget about proper process and just finish the job eg lay the tiles over a non cured liquid screed.

Guess what I'm doing the first week of September ?

Trades tell customers how it's done properly and customers wait for it to be done accordingly. Anything else is a short cut afaic. Anyone who is advised to wait and doesn't listen is in charge of their own fate.

• Like 1