Converting Internal Garage

johndeere

HI

We have an internal garage which was part of an extension done by a previous owner in the 80s. Bedroom above it so walls are cavity with ‘some’ insulation.

Garage has a door from the hallway of the house, a large window and both lighting and electric circuits.

We will never use it as a garage and would be handy to have extra room.

I realise building regs will be needed so I am thinking I will need to brick up the garage door, foundations likely needed.

Then raise the floor up to the house level. DPM, insulation and board etc.

Then insulated plasterboard on the walls to meet building regs spec, although I have no idea how much in the the cavity walls already. 

Boiler is in there so will get that boxed into a little cupboard.

Im gonna get a firm in to quote but I think it should not be overly expensive considering a lot of the work has already been done?

Thanks 

C0524D52-02FF-4A66-9F8F-21D09BD7F1B0.jpeg

5BED04B3-1510-41FF-AA83-83A8E1BB7B75.jpeg

Don't see any particular issues, it will just have to meet building regs.

I think the floor will have to be insulated to a minimum of 0.25 U-value which means at least 50mm of PIR. Ideally you would want more, but it doesn't look like there is much of a step down from the house. This will mean that you are going to end up with quite a low ceiling height 2.2m by the looks of it. If you then wanted to board the ceiling it would get lower again. This is allowed within building regs but not ideal.

Similarly the wall U-value will have to be improved which will lose you some floorspace.

You shouldn't need foundations to block up the door as it would be non load bearing, the door should already have a lintel. You will as you say need a DPC but I would expect it to already have one being part of the house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2022 at 18:18, AliG said:

Don't see any particular issues, it will just have to meet building regs.

I think the floor will have to be insulated to a minimum of 0.25 U-value which means at least 50mm of PIR. Ideally you would want more, but it doesn't look like there is much of a step down from the house. This will mean that you are going to end up with quite a low ceiling height 2.2m by the looks of it. If you then wanted to board the ceiling it would get lower again. This is allowed within building regs but not ideal.

Similarly the wall U-value will have to be improved which will lose you some floorspace.

You shouldn't need foundations to block up the door as it would be non load bearing, the door should already have a lintel. You will as you say need a DPC but I would expect it to already have one being part of the house.

Thanks for the reply

I’ve had one quote so far and it was £13800. Not sure what I expected but perhaps I am out of touch with what things cost now. 

The guy said building regs will require foundations for the wall blocking up the garage door but they may accept a concrete lintel sink into the ground of some description. 

Just done a tally of rough costs for materials excluding blocking up the door and I am at around £4500 so perhaps £13800 is not as unrealistic as it first seemed! 

Might have to rethink! I can do most of the stuff myself except blocking up the garage door so maybe I will get some quotes for that on it’s own after getting building regs out to find out what we need 

Hit a stumbling block.
Garage was part of a 2 story extension in the 80s which was done with planning permission. The document for PP states it must remain as a garage and I would need to get PP again to change its use. 

Frustrating as there is a chance I could spend money and they say no.

Thinking of sticking a roller garage door on, stud wall behind it and then do the conversion myself with PP or BR.

Got two quotes so far, one was for £13800 and one for 'about £20k'