Survey or no Survey?

Roger440

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I understand the process is simply one of registering an existing system and is pretty much a formality. When we built this house in 2003 there was no requirement to register it with SEPA.  I believe it is the same form we used to apply for their discharge permit for the new house, just a different box to tick.

Yes, spot on.  I think it fair to say it is even simpler now, as they have recently changed the form, and no longer ask for performance figures for the treatment plant you have.

The registration of all private sewage treatment and disposal systems was supposed to be mandatory years ago, there's some EU rule requiring that these all be converted to EN 12566-3 2005 compliant units (eventually).  The first stage was supposed to be registration, so that there was a record of every system.  That would then allow the EA/SEPA/NIEA to police them and ensure that all were converted to proper treatment plants (eventually).

For a host of reasons (mainly because it's a Herculean task and the agencies don't have the staff, as I understand it) registration was only mandatory for a new system, but even that isn't complied with, as often only new builds will have any means of being able to enforce that, through building control. 

I am sure that, sooner or later, registration and the conversion of all existing systems to proper EN 12566-3 2005  certified ones will happen.  There's only so long we can hold off on what is supposed to be an EU-wide set of rules.  I have wondered how on earth they propose enforcing this in places like France, Italy, Spain or Greece - if anyone has ever wondered why some rural Greek toilets have a "no paper down the toilet" rule it's because there is no treatment at all, just a hole in the ground (or more often rock).................

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

The registration of all private sewage treatment and disposal systems was supposed to be mandatory years ago, there's some EU rule requiring that these all be converted to EN 12566-3 2005 compliant units (eventually).  The first stage was supposed to be registration, so that there was a record of every system.  That would then allow the EA/SEPA/NIEA to police them and ensure that all were converted to proper treatment plants (eventually).

For a host of reasons (mainly because it's a Herculean task and the agencies don't have the staff, as I understand it) registration was only mandatory for a new system, but even that isn't complied with, as often only new builds will have any means of being able to enforce that, through building control. 

I am sure that, sooner or later, registration and the conversion of all existing systems to proper EN 12566-3 2005  certified ones will happen.  There's only so long we can hold off on what is supposed to be an EU-wide set of rules.  I have wondered how on earth they propose enforcing this in places like France, Italy, Spain or Greece - if anyone has ever wondered why some rural Greek toilets have a "no paper down the toilet" rule it's because there is no treatment at all, just a hole in the ground (or more often rock).................

Hmmm, building control enforcement. Rears its ugly head on this house too. Based on what i have seen, the drainage is a disaster area. Simply cant be correct, but its been done anyway!

On the upside, it registered!