erect a shed in winter or wait till it's drier?

Adsibob

About to place my order for a wooden shed. The T&Cs on the  invoice state that all sheds are treated with a "base coat preservative; the manufacturer recommends an additional coat is applied within a month of installation".

Provisional installation date is around 10th December. Which means I'd have to apply the additional coat in the middle of winter, when humidity levels are likely to be high. Does this matter? I was actually going to paint it with some grey paint that had some sort of rain protection built in.

Should I delay installation to the end of winter so I can paint in early Spring? Can't really delay too much.

No problems, most preservatives are now water based. As long as it’s not raining the treatment will be fine. If you are going to paint it then you may need to wait for it to dry out unless the paint is water based.

28 minutes ago, markc said:

No problems, most preservatives are now water based. As long as it’s not raining the treatment will be fine. If you are going to paint it then you may need to wait for it to dry out unless the paint is water based.

Thanks, paint I was considering was something like this: https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/ronseal-10-year-weatherproof-wood-paint-grey-satin-2-5-litre  Not sure if it is water based.

There is also Ronseal Garden Paint, which is waterproof (see here) but not sure it is suitable as it requires any existing finishes to be sanded off, and I don't think I'd want to do that, as i've gone for the thinnest spec wood for the walls, only upgrading the floor, and want the protection of the base coat that's already been applied. The garden paint range is also recommended to be applied in triplicate! Can't be bothered with that.

Edited by Adsibob

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Thanks, paint I was considering was something like this: https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/ronseal-10-year-weatherproof-wood-paint-grey-satin-2-5-litre  Not sure if it is water based.

There is also Ronseal Garden Paint, which is waterproof (see here) but not sure it is suitable as it requires any existing finishes to be sanded off, and I don't think I'd want to do that, as i've gone for the thinnest spec wood for the walls, only upgrading the floor, and want the protection of the base coat that's already been applied. The garden paint range is also recommended to be applied in triplicate! Can't be bothered with that.

I wouldn’t use that on a shed which is probably rough sawn timber or fairly rough, it is great on doors and tables etc. as long as the prep has been done well.

I would go with a fence type paint/stain for a shed