Room thermostats - what to look out for?

swissmorgs

Hi,

My water based underfloor heating has individual room thermostats in a rooms.

The room thermostats are a very primative dial-type and I would like to update/upgrade to something that :

has a digital display

- shows the temp in each room

- is powered by the mains, i.e. no batteries

- is reliable and has a good reputation/history

Nice to have:

- possibly programmable

- has some smart element to, accessible remotely

I'm unsure what I need to look out for when replacing the existing roomstats.

Can I just simply swap them out ensuring that the voltage is correct, or is there something else I need to be aware of, e.g. compatibility with the actuators?

Photos attached of the existing stats faceplate, internals of stat and actuators.

Thanks in advance.

Normally systems with simple stats have a timeclock somewhere. So if you want to fit programmable stats that other timeclock might need bypassing. No big deal.

Mains stats are normally one of two types. One type has a signal that is either 0V a 240V. The other type are what's called "volt free". The latter has a relay that either connects the signal wire to Ground/0V or leaves it open circuit. Frequently modern stats can be wired to operate in either mode but you might need to check that.

If you are changing to programmable stats check they automatically switch to BST (or at least there is a way to set the time on all of them from a central hub?).

Heatmiser do a wide range in all flavours. I would have a look at their site as @TonyTsuggests then ask an electrician to tell you which models your system needs.

One issue I've heard of mentioned on this forum.. Most digital stats have a light in them to illuminate the display. On some models pressing any button turns on the light. On others they have a proximity sensor so it lights up when you stand in front of it. I have heard this can be an issue at night if you walk past the stat on the way to the loo. It wouldn't be an issue for me but not everyone likes this happening.