In-roof PV spacing

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

Does anyone know how much room I need around a GSE mounting system ? How close to the ridge and eves can I place the panels and what inter-panel spacing is required ?

Specifically can I mount two 1.7m x 0.9m panels one above the other in portrait configuration on a 4m x 8m roof.

You need at least 1 1/2 tiles/slates width either side and at least two tiles/slates above (ridge spacing).  You can fit the panels right down to the lower edge of the roof with no problem at all, this is what we have done and it makes for a neater look than having a bit of flashing exposed over the lower courses of tiles/slates.  Our panels overhang the lower edge by about 50mm, so the run off is clear into the gutters, and we have a layer of that stiff membrane all along the eaves, under the roof membrane, and leading into the gutters to prevent any drips from running back under.

Guest Alphonsox

I've just got a very strange response from one of our potential suppliers - Apparently they can't supply GSE kit because it hasn't passed MCS fire testing for this year and so its use is currently pending updated certification. They are proposing using Clearline PV systems instead.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

2 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

I've just got a very strange response from one of our potential suppliers - Apparently they can't supply GSE kit because it hasn't passed MCS fire testing for this year and so its use is currently pending updated certification. They are proposing using Clearline PV systems instead.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Go with the Easyroof system then - it's nearly identical and should be fine 

That's strange, as it was MCS approved when installed in our roof.  Makes me wonder if they've changed the design; I seem to remember someone saying they no longer used the type of black anodised alloy panel clamps we have and had changed the way the upstands are arranged where the panel fastenings fit.

Easyroof is near-identical, in fact we ordered Easyroof but it was out of stock when our guys came to install it, so there was a last-minute change to the GSE system.