Self-Build Insurance - Supplier Recommendations

Dave and Helen

Hi,

We've owned our building plot for the past 4 years and in that time have only had land liability insurance in place, from a company called ProAktive Self Build www.selfbuildinsure.co.uk

We're about to start out the build in earnest, and whilst I've nothing against ProAktive, I'd like to ask for recommendations on alternative providers. 

Cost is always a factor, but I'd also like to make sure we have the relevant insurance in place. Aside from land liability, what else should I include? 

Also, we have a main contractor, but should we have a 'checklist' when employing contractors directly, to check if they have the relevant insurance in place to cover their time on site? If so, what should we be asking for, a copy of their liability insurance?

As ever, I'd appreciate any words of wisdom and advice. 

Dave C

Hi @Dave and Helen  I used my village insurance broker for Self Build Insurance, for our selfbuild.  We're not too far away from you in Measham, so could be worth popping into them.  PM me and I can let you have the details.

It included public liability, and employer liability, there was a clause that included that we needed a copy of any contractor's insurance.  

We did not include plant, as plant was supplied by contractors, and cover by their insurance.   Don;t scrimp on the expected cost of works, they charge you handsomely for changing this.