Hello world!

SimonC

I've been visiting this forum for some time reading various threads with interest which have been very useful but feel it's high time to get involved. 

I've recently been granted planning permission for the renovation and extension of my existing 1960s detached house.  Aside from adding space to the house, the project is an opportunity to improve the building which is largely as originally built in with unfilled cavities, single glazing and no slab insulation.  

My ambition is to improve the whole house performance bringing it up to standard by hopefully taking a joined up approach to insulation, airtightness and controlled ventilation through careful choice of materials and construction.  Currently my architect is progressing building regs drawings before going out to tender, though with the state of the current economy I'm wondering whether this is a good time to embark on a build project.  I see the current period as a critical stage to commit to a design strategy for the works.  

I'm hoping to gain some sage advice and insights from this forum's experienced membership.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once. 

BULLDOZE YOUR EXISTING BUILDING AND BUILD AN UNCOMPROMISED REPLACEMENT PASSIVEHOUSE. 

Thanks @Iceverge - If money no object then this would be preferred, however there is a budget for the work.  That being said, if the builders quotes are astronomical it would sway this point of view.  

• Like 1