Bunging up sink overflow

James94

Hi all, I ’m tight for space behind my undermount sink, I have a boiling tap to fix down and  pipes to run in aswell which I think I’ll need to cut the wall out to give me a bit more room. I Was also thinking of bunging up the sink overflow and spinning the sink around for extra room, has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you manage? Could I just ct1 it up?

D985BDA5-6321-4451-A8D7-B8B858DBDCA0.jpeg

james

Edited by James94

@Nickfromwales

Thanks for your reply, I didn’t really want to get rid of it but like I said the space that’s going to be left behind the sink is very tight and going to be nearly impossible to fit and tighten down the tap.If I choose to bung it up any idea if best way to go about it?.

@Conor

To batten it out do you mean remove back of cupboard?

Regard’s. James

Removing the back of the sink unit is normal play for me, so I can properly clip all the pipework to the sold wall vs the crappy bit of 4mm hardboard. 
If removing that gets you what you need, get the machete out and get it gone. Soon be too full of Ajax and MrSheen and 4 candles for the back to be seen anyways :) 

49 minutes ago, James94 said:

@Nickfromwales

Thanks for your reply, I didn’t really want to get rid of it but like I said the space that’s going to be left behind the sink is very tight and going to be nearly impossible to fit and tighten down the tap.If I choose to bung it up any idea if best way to go about it?.

@Conor

To batten it out do you mean remove back of cupboard?

Regard’s. James

Batten out all of the units to give you a service void behind all the units. It's drastic, and kinda needs to be done before you start building the kitchen! Or, as nick says, rip out the back of the sink unit. I had to rip the base of mine out to fit my quooker cylinder, and take out one of the rear pieces so the flex hose weight would go up and down unimpeded. In the previous house had to rip out the back, and carve out a large notch out of one of the drawers in order to make room for everything.

Modern kitchen units haven't changed much over the years (i.e. same depth and still have usual bits like shelf supports, solid base, etc ) so once you add in an oversized sink, boiling water kit, filter / sparkler and a waste disposal system, you've no space left. Our 900mm wide unit just about has space for a small plastic basin and roll up drainer. And that's with back and half th base removed and no shelves or drawers.

Edited by Conor

@Nickfromwales

Taken your advice and removed part of the back of cupboard as there is a double socket on it and i have also taken a section of dot dab out where the tap is going, just to give a little more room.

@Conor

This could be an option if i ever do it all again but like nick says i could not afford to move the return units along as they butt up to a wall but worth bearing in mind for any future kitchens.

Regards  James

• Like 1