Paladin Churchill radiator,

I'm considering purchasing this weighty beast of a cast iron rad.

https://www.traderadiators.com/churchill-7-column-cast-iron-radiator-350mm-x-1402mm-22-sections

I have seen the youtube video from the sam e co. My purchase is currently around 1402mm and it will be delivered on two pallets. (I'm looking for something close to 9000 btus at Delta 50*C). So it would require a 'Joining Tool for Cast Iron Radiator' outright cost of a £60.00 from the same co.

Two things, with a total weight of 158Kg - in the gym I can barely lift a 1/3rd of that I'm 62kg, so I'll need to find a chunky guy to help - does anyone have any experience with this beast? As regards the joining tool, what 'business end' does it have (it looks just like a thick spade end on the vids) and can it be improvised, considering the torque of 200 newtons probably not. From a buyers perspective I have no knowledge about these radiators, am I missing some other issue? I can plumb it in, thats not a problem that I for see. 

On an US youtube site they showed a strainer to drain out the crud, I expect this to be very useful. Any thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

John

Hi @centralLondonJOHN

This lot may help you.....

I assume the radiator comes in 2 halves, so you only now have half the weight problem....

I would be asking for a detailed description and photo of said special tool so you can decide if you need to purchase one or not.

I would also be asking for full installation instructions prior to order to ensure it will fit through the building openings, that the floor is tough enough and that you have the correct end fitting (Function and form).

Is there level access or will the radiator have to go up or down a floor. Control of such a heavy item down or up a flight of stairs can be quite dangerous and can cause serious damage with loss of control.

Do you have level access off the public pathway to sit the 2 pallets? 

Usually, these days, a central heating system has a filter prior to the boiler so all the water is filtered. For example:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/adey-cp1-03-00022-01-2-magnetic-filtration-22mm/49961

Marvin Thanks for the advice, indeed the house is on the slope of a hill with a narrow pavement, and the two piece will have to negotiate up a short up-flight of stairs, then inside the house -  and then a descent down a flight to the lower ground floor - thru a very narrow doorway - and then onto the ceramic tiled floor. Bloody tricky!

The screw fix link helps a lot. A great help to picture it all the way thru.

John