Hi, first extension help

laura atkinson

HI there, this forum looks like its filled with very helpful positive people and comments so I'm really looking forward this !

I am building an extension above a garage (38 square meters). There is an existing first floor structure with bedrooms above the garage that will be demolished and the new work will basically make the walls higher, giving us much bigger rooms in the extension.

The architect has drawn up good plans, but I have a few questions. I do hope you can help :-)

Question 1 is: what access do I need? The guys will need to demolish the existing pitched roof and walls and will retain the small clay tiles. I want to make sure we use the correct scaffolding/lifts etc for the different stages (do we need different things for demolition then for build). The builder has said he would use a bumper but I'm not sure what that is, even after googling it !!

Question 2: I presume I will need a temporary roof until the new roof is sealed. Is there a particular name for this or is there anything I should be aware of - I've seen scaffolding with a 'flat roof' covering building jobs before?

Question 3: Is there anything I should be careful of while doing this type of work. I will be employing a reputable builder but I'd love some insights into potential pitfalls. P.s. the foundations have been checked and are sound.

Hope this isn't too much to ask !!

Thanks, Laura.

Hi & welcome. 

Q1 re bumper I'd imagine the. builder is referring to a tile bumper to get the old tiles down & stored until they're needed again. As for scaffold-are you organising this yourself? Normally the builder would do it & ask for the lifts at the heights they want.

• Like 1

Tile bumper or bumpa is like a conveyer belt to carry tiles up/down.

Let your builder arrange the scaffold, then there can be no disputes and he will get exactly what he wants.

If the extension is only over the garage I would suggest it would be worth your while just emptying the garage and letting the rain get in rather than wasting time and money with a temporary roof. Now would be time for a good clear out!

• Like 1