12 Meter Test Sidewall to Main Elevation Query

Hawkwind1879

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone could clarify the 12 meter test as i am finding it really difficult to find any information on it. We have an ongoing planning application and the main stumbling block (among many unfortunately) seems to be the 12 meter rule.

Our architect has measured it using computer tools as far as we know and says it does comply however the neighbour and planning officer says it does break the 12 meter rule. As far as we know no-one has actually physically measured it, which i will do myself tomorrow and mark everything up so there is no doubt.

My query is because our neighbour has a rear extension would the 12 meter rule start from their extension or the original wall of their building?. It would seem a bit unfair if it was from their extension.

Thank you for looking, Alex

Many councils have a "space around dwellings "policy.

Typically they require a minimum distance between walls with facing windows into habitable rooms eg between the backs of two houses. Its to prevent you looking into each others bedroom window's or something like that. Think its normally 21/22m where they both have windows or 12/13m where one has windows and the other has a blank wall. 

5 hours ago, Hawkwind1879 said:

My query is because our neighbour has a rear extension would the 12 meter rule start from their extension or the original wall of their building?. It would seem a bit unfair if it was from their extension

Is it a single or two story extension? What's in it?

If it was say a single story extension with just a kitchen in it I would try arguing their extension doesn't have any habitable rooms in it and all the habitable rooms such as the living room and bedrooms are in the main part of the house over 12m away(if they are).

Thank you for replying guys 😃 . Theirs is a single storey extension with a kitchen i beleive. Ours would be a double storey with the second floor reduced in size to accomadate the 12 meter rule. There will be no windows on our extension along the side. Hope this attached picture helps it shows the footprint

planning 12 meter.jpg

Edited by Hawkwind1879

• 2 months later...

What can you build under PD? It might apply leverage if you say you will cancel the PP and build what you can under PD. You might also wish to inform the neighbour that if they continue to object, you will plant 6-8m bamboo screening along the boundary which, as it is a grass, falls outside the high hedge legislation. They might decide they would rather have your extension 😉 

• 2 months later...

Thnak you for the replies guys. Bit of a shock to us but our planning permission was suddenly granted with no further changes needed after over a year. Thanks for looking and replying. We never got to speak to our planning officer to find exactly what they thought of the 12 meter rule which was a bit of shame.

Edited by Hawkwind1879