floorplan layout critique

Hi all!  We have been working on our extension for a little over 3 months now.  It was a difficult task to get out of the ground as we are by a river, and so had to dig down 2.5m to get to something sturdy to build from.  Happily, we are now well out of the ground.  I am attaching our before and current photos! 

I was hoping for some advice and/or constructive criticism as to our layout.  I am attaching the floor plan.  On the ground floor I was intending to construct a stud wall between the garden room and dining room.  I was going to put a flame look fire in it, just for appearances, and one that can be viewed from both the garden room and dining room.  However, I am not convinced that breaking up the rooms is the best idea.  I would welcome any contributions.

Thank you so much for your time.

GFplan.jpg

before.jpg

now.jpg

I think you’re looking for advice whether to commit to building internal walls, or leaving open plan.   I think it depends on how you live.

My personal view is if you live immaculately anyway and always put the dishes away after dinner and always keep all your rooms tidy then you can live that open plan dream like the photos in the magazines, impress friends etc etc.  

I remember seeing a tv show where the family had an open plan kitchen diner livingroom that looked immaculate for guests etc.  behind a sliding door they had a second modest kitchen which was untidy/normal.  Effectively had a kitchen for show and one for use.

if you live a bit less tidy especially the kitchen you can’t shut the door behind you.  Big open plan is always impressive but I do wonder about some practicalities for some people.

Maybes think about having your central heating, lighting circuits and sockets laid out in a way that if you do need to ever put up internal walls you don’t have the expense or hassle of relocating them.

I’m a fan of dividing furniture eg bookcases etc to define zones, especially the seating areas.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response.  This is the existing wall between the garden room and the dining area.  In two minds whether to paint it up, stick the tv in the corner and a little bookshelf, or do away with it and have it all running through.  

There are two other living rooms so I am not 100% sure how much we are going to use the room to relax in at night.  

gard.jpg

The one disadvantage of self building / major extension, is that you have to make decisions.  You can mitigate against bad ones by thinking multifunctionality, should you choose to change room or area to another use.

when I designed my house I made my 4th bedroom downstairs into a TV room/snug but it can easily change to a bedroom.    Our lounge is south facing and gets hot at times, the TV room doesn’t.   Both have TVs.  So we have a warm room and a cooler room.  Or summer and winter lounge.  We can swap room easily.  

so multifunctional can also include seasonal use.  I’m assuming your garden room has nice view and it has lots of glazing and light.  If you have other rooms with TVs that don’t I’d have that area with just seating to the garden.  Just pop in tv points etc in case things change.  That extension is a social space so I’d think about having seating centred around social activity and guests/family etc.  in other words facing each other rather than yet another TV.