Method statement services trench

Maria

5 minutes ago, Maria said:

I am using a small contractor. He's got all the licenses and insurances but I do have doubts whether he'd have done method statements before.  Anyway,  I've asked him to draw one, and he should produce something.  I'll just have to see what he comes up with. 

That's why I wanted to see what others usually do, and if there are a lot of acceptable variants...

A method statement is usually a document with all the contracting parties business details on it then project details and project location, responsible person etc. then a job description then usually a tabulated list of how they will do it all safely.

They are odd documents to read and write because they usually spell out the bloomin obvious, mean really boring stuff - they have a place, but day to day they are a bit over the top for basic tasks.

I have done a couple over the years but not for civils work. I usually take the P a bit when I write them and make them totally ridiculous because I think they are generally ridiculous for many tasks. If you are taking a nuclear reactor offline, fair enough, if you are transferring chlorine gas from a lorry to a ship, fair enough, but when you hear someone wants one written to inspect a light fitting you really are left wondering what to write. They are really about safety too, so not sure why your neighbour wants one. 

I once saw once which simply said, "Use common sense". 

• Thanks 1

On 15/07/2022 at 13:18, Maria said:

Anyway, the trench for services is to be excavated in a shared drive with neighbours' garages sitting on both edges of the drive. The drive is roughly 3 meters wide, so the works are a subject to a party wall agreement. 

There are already existing services in the drive - water, gas, electrics,  BT.

... and agreed on a min distance from both properties that they'd be happy with.

But he also wants a method statement detailing machinery, depths,  widths,  compaction methods, materials used and duration of works. 

================================================================================

Here is just one of many possible answers to your question.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE  ABSTRACTED FROM

https://www.google.com/search?q=method+statement+for+excavation+of+trench&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB968GB968&oq=method+statement+excavation&aqs=chrome.6.69i57j0i512j0i22i30l8.13215j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Method Statement

Contractor: The name and contact details of the contractor.
Project name and site address: Insert relevant details.
Site manager: Name, telephone number and email address.

The site investigation will establish the engineering properties of the ground on which the
structure will be founded and provide details on bearing capacity. This information will be
communicated to the groundworks sub-contractor.

• If the site investigation identifies any contamination of the ground from previous industrial uses,
details of this will be given to the groundworks sub-contractor.

• Provide utility services drawings showing the location of any buried services.

• Where work has to be undertaken close by or beneath overhead lines, enquires will be made
with the line operator to establish whether the line can be made dead or diverted. Where
lines remain live ensure that plant is selected or modified so that it cannot reach the lines.
Ground works sub-contractor to comply with guidance note GS 6 ‘Avoidance of danger from
overhead power lines’.

Prior to any work taking place on site the client / contractor shall: -

• Use cable detection tools to accurately identify service locations on the ground and mark
same.
• Ensure that vehicle routes are carefully planned so that plant does not have to approach
close to the edge of the excavation. These routes need to be clearly marked i.e. baulks of
timber and/or fencing.
• Consider site access from the public road onto and around the site before vehicles arrive
on site, taking into account the site traffic management plan, the designated work area for
delivery vehicles and the storage area for materials. Clearly identify and communicate this
information to the groundworks sub-contractor.
• Make welfare facilities available to the groundworks sub-contractor.

Work activity

Pre-start checks: The pre-start checks must cover the following areas: -

availability of plant and equipment to be used; ground conditions;

proximity hazards and welfare facilities.

Ensure the excavation area has been checked for overhead and underground services
prior to the commencement of work.

Description of the contract:

Excavation of the service trench  with mini digger and by hand where appropriate

(information taken from working drawings).

Backfill will be  by [...] 

=============================================================================

A search for the terms

method statement for excavation of trench

shows the following results  (about 70,00 or so.)

I am not an expert. The post above should not be seen as guidance or an example of good practice.

• Thanks 1