Oak glass front

richo106

Hi all

we are wanting a large glass front with our front door in (like attached) and my mrs now has her heart set on a real oak one.

I am guessing these are a lot more expensive than aluminium ones.

my main concern is maintenance and air tightness, we aren’t going for Passiv but aiming to get as low as we can.

have anybody got any experience with these? 

All information and opinion appreciated 

Many Thanks

A couple of options exist.

1: Standard window and door system, in Oak. It would be supplied in 2 sections based on the picture and supplier dependant. The coupling detail will vary between suppliers and some may insist on strengthening the coupling. In addition the finish would be down to what they guarantee and you may find they aren't able to offer a clear finish externally.

2: Curtain walling, the external pressure plates are usually capped with aluminium but some will cap the aluminium with timber as well (curtain walling is not the cheapest option).

We have a lot of external oak.

If you want to retain the honey colour (rather than letting it go black then silver) I would avoid oil finish. We originally used Dainish Oil but that needs redoing every 6 months and some areas will go black anyway. We switched to Osmo UV Protection Oil and that's a lot better. Some areas last 4 years but others need redoing every 2 years. Osmo UV Protection Oil on new oak is also a bit too white so you may need a stain coat first. 

On our oak front door (below) we used Sadolin Classic to colour then two/three thin coats of Sadolin Extra Satin Clear. I've just recoated it for the second time after 15 years so it seems to last upto 7 years between coats.  You have to apply thin coats brushed out well or it looks a but muddy. Think the initial  colour coat was a mix of natural and light oak. Experiment.

20220705_143611.thumb.jpg.ad1c19e2cbde02330e37e3a4f44e42de.jpg