New member from Dorset

Benpointer

Hi all,

Just to briefly introduce myself:

We completely refurbed a 1960s bungalow 10 years ago, building a SIP two storey extension, more than doubling its size, adding cavity and external wall insulation to the original bungalow at the same time.  We installed underfloor heating driven by a Mitsubishi Ecodan 85 ASHP. We also added 4kW of PV panels, solar hot water, MVHR, and rainwater harvesting.  

We did all that back in 2009-10 and at the time I got a lot of help from the old Navitron forum.  Since when we have been enjoying the house and been very pleased with the results.  

I have joined Buildhub now because:

1. Whilst originally the PV FITs were covering our electricity costs, that's a long way from true now.  So I am looking at what further efficiencies we might make.
  2. I think we will do another house project in a few years, maybe a new build but we'll want it to be as efficient as possible, so I could be seeking thoughts, ideas etc.
  3. As an aside I am secretary for our small village hall, which is a converted stone 19th chapel.  The heating costs have gone through the roof (as does most of the heating tbh!) so I might be looking for any ideas members have about managing heating costs for a building that is unoccupied most of the time.  

I apologise that it looks from that list as though I am just on the take but hopefully, with our experience of a major eco-rebuild I can offer some ideas in return.

Anyway, that's me introduced!

Benpointer