Building Warrant Disappointment

Ian W

I recently applied to my local council planning department (East Dunbartonshire) for a building warrant to remove my dining room window and replace it with a bi-fold door supplied and fitted by a well known company. Having submitted the application which included detail of what I wanted to do and architect plans which detailed the installation of the door and some other work which we decided not to proceed with, and the £150 warrant fee, I thought approval would surely be just a formality. However, I have just received an email from the council to say that;

The application for building warrant detailed in the report overleaf has now been considered and found not to be in accordance with section 9 of the Building (Scotland) Act 2003 as the information submitted with the application does not provide or fully indicate:- * that the work or provision of any services involved will be carried out in accordance with building regulations; and/or * that the building when constructed will comply with building regulations; and/or * sufficient information in relation to the type of work specified in procedure regulations to show that the building will comply with building regulations.

The letter also requested that the following actions be carried in order to proceed:

Provide engineers drawings & details, along with engineer's certification under the (SER) scheme or full calculations for all elements, connections/fixings and stability. (1.1)

Happy to put my hands up and say I have absolutely no knowledge of the building standards or requirements but I would have thought that removing a window and a section of wall below to reduce it to the internal floor level and installing a door of the same dimension would not have required any further technical intervention. Would a lintel not already be in place to support the window and if so why would installing a bi-fold which would surely add stability to the structure, need to be assessed by an engineer?

The cost of the door is incredibly expensive as it is and all the additional cost are just leading me to the opinion of can I now afford it and can I be bothered with the whole debacle! 

Any comments/opinions welcome. 

The structural calcs are normal for window to door conversation, even if the same size, the calculations would say if what's there is ok or has to be replaced.

Structural engineers are usually registered to perform their own calcs and issue a certificate, which planning is happy with and gives a warranty discount.

Not sure a bi fold door would add stability!

If you've done this through an architect he should have know you needed structural input.

• Like 1

connections and stability will be down to the tying of the inner and outer leaf together. you are cutting out a piece of wall and the inner and outer leaf will need tying together by resin anchors probably in a closer spacing than wall ties would have been.

• Like 1