Thoughts on rot repairs

Hi folks,

I was in a customers house last week and he asked me to look in his attic at the rot repairs that were carried out in his roof space.

Its a new house he has just bought which is in an old refurbished building. The housebuilder had carried out roof repairs and has stated that the repairs were designed by a well known engineering agency in Inverness and are carried out to spec but when I looked you can clearly see that there has been a lot of stress put on the timber around the metal plates. When you run a straight edge along the underside of the valley rafters you can see that the new section at bottoms are out of line by 75mm, so either it was never done right to start or its sunk under the weight in the past two months?

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts re the repairs and size of plates used bearing in mind there are no other supporting timbers under the valley rafters. Many thanks.

8753F8A3-F844-4A7C-B4C9-FE4DBED8D3B5.jpeg

9F176F01-AAAD-45C0-87FE-661B09D35F2D.jpeg

Looking at the lower picture it indicates that the plate runs parallel with the new joist but not the old. As you say either sagged or never aligned. 

Personally I don't like the method. The thread on the bolts could dig into the timber allowing the drop. 

The strength of the old timber could be weaker than expected..  fulcrum, bending moment, Newton meters, all words that spring to mind....

It’s always difficult repairing old rotten timbers as they usually sag over the years so new straight stuff sticks out like a sore thumb. If it was repaired to the spec of a professional body there should be some guarantee that goes with it.

8 hours ago, joe90 said:

It’s always difficult repairing old rotten timbers as they usually sag over the years so new straight stuff sticks out like a sore thumb. If it was repaired to the spec of a professional body there should be some guarantee that goes with it.

As Joe as already stated 

It’s very difficult to get everything to line up on a repair 

My guess would be that it’s in the same state of alignment as the day it was repaired