Brick Plinth

Johnny Jekyll

I'm building a brick plinth to the front elevation on our new build. DPC, wall ties, foundation is all prepared.

My question is:

1 - should there be a small air gap between the brick plinth and the blockwork?

2 - should mortar be applied between the brick plinth and the blockwork?

3 - should the bricks simply butt up against the blockwork?

See image below to help.

I understand the top edge will need to be filled to stop water getting between the brick plinth and blockwork. 

Thanks very much.  

plinth elevation.jpg

Just now, saveasteading said:

(3).

But please explain the purpose of the plinth.

Plinth was designed at the start of the project together with half brick cill and soldier courses to windows, is just visual, nice bricks, non-load-bearing.

Sorry i meant (2) and have edited it. It needs to be tied to the blockwork too.  I would rather see the top brick inset into the block, otherwise rain runs down onto a mortar joint constantly.

Edited by saveasteading
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Sorry i meant (2) with mortar ! It needs to be tied to the blockwork too.  I would rather see the top brick inset into the block, otherwise rain runs down onto a mortar joint constantly.

@saveasteading Number (2) understood thanks. Yes it will be tied to the blockwork. There will be a bell drip from the render above to push the water outwards.

Sorry do you think there will be any problem with brick efflorescence or salt petering with no air gap behind the bricks? I heard someone say this and just wanted to ask someone in the know?