Thermostat sensor

Chriss

Hello folks I hope someone can help me. I am renovating a barn and have installed the water underfloor heating myself and have screeded but I forgot about the sensor for the thermostat. Where exactly is the sensor supposed to go. The lead is not very long and basically just reaches the floor. Do I just drill a hole in screed and place sensor in hole. I really hope this is the case as I have pretty much done the tiling as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards 

Chris

1 hour ago, Chriss said:

Do I just drill a hole in screed and place sensor in hole. I really hope this is the case as I have pretty much done the tiling as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

The floor sensor would go in a small tube just under the floor covering. The tube is so it can be replaced without digging the floor up. It is there to protect the floor covering as many are limited to 24 -30 degrees C, timber or laminate etc. The thermostat should be using two sensors, floor and air. Whichever reaches its setting first would turn the feed off.

You should not be feeding high temperatures into the floor anyway. We have a mixture of polished concrete, tile (ground floor) and wood (first floor). The wood floors all have floor sensors the concrete and tile do not. The max feed temp is 35 and the tile and concrete floors never get above 22 degrees anywhere.

The sensor is probably a simple thermistor or possibly a "1-wire" digital sensor, either way fairly easy to extend the wires on it if you need to. Just make sure the joint is water proof if it will end up under the floor at all. (I like to solder the wires, cover in epoxy and heat shrink, but other methods exist)

My ASHP controller doesn't have any underfloor thermostat (although I added one for my own data logging interest) - it uses sensors on the UFH flow and return pipes