50 year old system

Got a Baxi boston which is being replaced in my new house. Should I rip all the pipes out too and start again its all 15 mm and i presume its. apprx 50 years old and a lot of rad will need to be moved.

9 hours ago, dave1967 said:

Got a Baxi boston which is being replaced in my new house. Should I rip all the pipes out too and start again its all 15 mm and i presume its. apprx 50 years old and a lot of rad will need to be moved.

Hi Dave.

1000% yes mate. The pipes will be full of corrosion / crud / ferrous particulate from that long a service lifespan, and when you fit the new appliance that will ultimately get back to it, regardless of how good a magnetic / particle filter you fit. I would completely re-plumb and replace all the rads / valves, plus also look at a good controls system ( not Honeywell Evo-home!!! ) to manage it all economically.

If you approach someone like www.mrcentralheating.com and ask for a package price for boiler / rads / valves / TRV ( thermostatic rad valves ) then you can get a yardstick on prices when plumbers come to quote. Take the room sizes / number of outside walls / number of windows / ceiling height etc into any decent plumbers merchants and they will size the rads for you room by room FOC ( when you ask them for a quote ;) ).

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New gas run in 22mm also, unless the existing one is already 22mm. If it's a long run, it may need to start with, or include along its length, some 28mm pipe, eg to get the manufacturers stated "working gas pressure". Will you be installing a combi or a system boiler plus hot water tank? Do you have / do you intend to fit solar PV?

Edited by Nickfromwales

15 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

New gas run in 22mm also, unless the existing one is already 22mm. If it's a long run, it may need to start with, or include along its length, some 28mm pipe, eg to get the manufacturers stated "working gas pressure". Will you be installing a combi or a system boiler plus hot water tank? Do you have / do you intend to fit solar PV?

Cheers Nick. Will rip it out. Got a 2.5kw solar system on 2011 tarrif. Fitted with 2 sunnyboy inverters for some reason. All got a magic heating box which will be going on ebay as i cant see what it does.

8 hours ago, dave1967 said:

Cheers Nick. Will rip it out. Got a 2.5kw solar system on 2011 tarrif. Fitted with 2 sunnyboy inverters for some reason. All got a magic heating box which will be going on ebay as i cant see what it does.

OK, so you will be keeping ( replacing ) the hot water cylinder for excess PV diversion to hot water, great.

What is this ‘magic heating box’? Can you show us pics as I’m at least very curious. Name / make / model etc?

Cheers.