Jump to content

3-phase supply, single phase meter. is that ok?


Recommended Posts

so I've been phoning around to try and get a 3-phase meter for our new 3-phase supply and can't find anyone offering them at the moment (some companies aren't even taking on new customers!). 

 

our Solar PV is all on a single phase and the house will be run on a single phase with the potential of a 3-phase EV charger at a later date. for now can I simply get a single phase smart meter installed and then upgrade to a 3-phase meter when they become available again and we actually need the 3-phase supply?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

so I've been phoning around to try and get a 3-phase meter for our new 3-phase supply and can't find anyone offering them at the moment (some companies aren't even taking on new customers!). 

 

our Solar PV is all on a single phase and the house will be run on a single phase with the potential of a 3-phase EV charger at a later date. for now can I simply get a single phase smart meter installed and then upgrade to a 3-phase meter when they become available again and we actually need the 3-phase supply?

 

Yes, don't see why not.  Our place, when we bought it, already had a 3-phase supply but a meter on just one phase.   Also, it might be easier to get a supply in place with someone on a single-phase (which should happen quite quickly) and then request upgrade to three-phase afterwards.  If this takes a while it won't be an issue if you aren't using it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dan F said:

 

Yes, don't see why not.  Our place, when we bought it, already had a 3-phase supply but a meter on just one phase.   Also, it might be easier to get a supply in place with someone on a single-phase (which should happen quite quickly) and then request upgrade to three-phase afterwards.  If this takes a while it won't be an issue if you aren't using it.

thanks. that's what I figured. I'm also thinking that all that solar PV could be being exported while the house is being built and earning us some money. according to PVGIS we should be averaging 1308kWh in May so even at 5p/kWh that's a nice little £65 a month bonus while we finish building. so a quick install of a single phase meter could be exactly what we need!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

thanks. that's what I figured. I'm also thinking that all that solar PV could be being exported while the house is being built and earning us some money. according to PVGIS we should be averaging 1308kWh in May so even at 5p/kWh that's a nice little £65 a month bonus while we finish building. so a quick install of a single phase meter could be exactly what we need!

You can get more than that on Octopus Outgoing Agile.  I was getting 25p few months ago on average, but now there is more sun not quite so much.  Here is today.  You can't use "Outgoing Agile" with "Go" for import, but you aren't going to want cheap nightime during the build anyway.

 

image.png.aa010b40dfd2283a0282febc8e436dac.png

Edited by Dan F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dan F said:

You can get more than that on Octopus Outgoing Agile.  I was getting 25p few months ago on average, but now there is more sun not quite so much.  Here is today.  You can't use "Outgoing Agile" with "Go" for import, but you aren't going to want cheap nightime during the build anyway.

 

image.png.aa010b40dfd2283a0282febc8e436dac.png

yeah, looked at their agile outgoing tariff and looks interesting. I did download their data for average price over a period but I need to go through it and calculate the average price for during the day only.

 

Octopus was my first choice as my Aunt is a customer and has given me a referral code and I'm a good nephew. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

just phoned Octopus and was told that they don't have any smart meters and to call bigger suppliers to get one installed and then transfer over to them. sounds bloody cheeky to me! so the other providers pay to have our smart meter installed but Octopus get the custom.

 

anyway, I'll phone around some other suppliers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

just phoned Octopus and was told that they don't have any smart meters and to call bigger suppliers to get one installed and then transfer over to them. sounds bloody cheeky to me! so the other providers pay to have our smart meter installed but Octopus get the custom.

 

anyway, I'll phone around some other suppliers.

Even single-phase?  What if you sign-up on dumb meter, do you then go in a queue for smart-meter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Even single-phase?  What if you sign-up on dumb meter, do you then go in a queue for smart-meter?

yeah. I didn't even mention a 3-phase supply. I need a smart meter as I want my SEG. they said they can't give timelines for when they'll have smart meters in again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...