Young Chap with the bones of a Smart Home

HazzyD

Hey there - I love tech and I've just done a total house renovation.  I was going to install the TheBen KNX RF smart home system and I even started to before I discovered that the modules that were supposedly compatible with any switch weren't compatible with my glass touch switches from retrotouch.  I'm here to help others not to make the same mistake when it comes to smart home installation! 

• Like 1

Welcome.

I didn't know Theben did that sort of thing - interesting. I have an 8-channel Theben dimmer as part of my Loxone installation and it's been solid.

KNX is supposed to a mature set of protocols with excellent interoperability between brands. Do you have any idea what went wrong?

Basically the glass touch switches from retrotouch need power to operate but the way the TheBen RF module works is that the switch needs to be a 0v input which simply doesn't work if the switch actually needs 240v power to operate.  You'd just end up blowing the RF module.  

I had paid a fortune for the switches and wasn't prepared to let them go waste since my committal at that stage to TheBen wasn't as large.  But the great thing about the TheBen KNX RF modules is that retro fitting them is pretty easy (if you have normal light switches!) - good solid system although it obviously still has the interference risk of any wireless smart home system.  But it's definitely more reliable than Z-wave or Zigbee. 

8 minutes ago, HazzyD said:

Basically the glass touch switches from retrotouch need power to operate but the way the TheBen RF module works is that the switch needs to be a 0v input which simply doesn't work if the switch actually needs 240v power to operate.  You'd just end up blowing the RF module.  

I had paid a fortune for the switches and wasn't prepared to let them go waste since my committal at that stage to TheBen wasn't as large.  But the great thing about the TheBen KNX RF modules is that retro fitting them is pretty easy (if you have normal light switches!) - good solid system although it obviously still has the interference risk of any wireless smart home system.  But it's definitely more reliable than Z-wave or Zigbee. 

Loxone with a KNX extension for your switches?