Home insurance renewal - but we have a single garage remaining?

Hi All,

Just seeking a bit of advice.

Our home insurance is up for renewal, and we are 50% of the way through the project. When we started the demolition etc, I rang the home insurance people and explained we were demolishing & rebuilding, but the existing single garage would remain & would be used for a large amount of our storage. They agreed to continuing the insurance, with just the garage being left on the policy.

However, now that it has come to renewal the policy has gone up to £500, which seems a lot to insure only a single garage (I will ring them next week). Move in date is expected (!!!!) end of July.

I dont want the garage uninsured but £500 seems a lot when it isn't filled with a huge amount of value. We could take the risk an leaved it uninsured until we move in, but sods law & all that....

Just curious what others have done in similar situations?

I just risked it and didn't bother with insurance.  Had a wheel barrow and couple of shovels kicked, and the excess wouldn't of covered those anyway.  Most stuff of value was either kept off site until needed or within a locked and out of sight loft section.