flat roof joists

Hi, I was wondering if there is a 'calculator' that will give the correct number of joists/firrings/fillets/wall plates that I need to order? Is this an easy calculation or do I need to get someone structural to do it ?

I am doing a small flat roof extension with a roof lantern - on a tight budget but I'm getting there !!

591583ea0a7c5_roofplan.jpg.69c1675e65f586f453ae1953ab5a321d.jpg

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

How much does that lantern weigh ..?? That will affect the loading and the span as will if there is access to the roof. 

Thanks again for the reply - yes its 145 Kg.

No roof access is required.

Edited by sarah barrows

2 hours ago, sarah barrows said:

Hi, I was wondering if there is a 'calculator' that will give the correct number of joists/firrings/fillets/wall plates that I need to order? Is this an easy calculation or do I need to get someone structural to do it ?

I am doing a small flat roof extension with a roof lantern - on a tight budget but I'm getting there !!

591583ea0a7c5_roofplan.jpg.69c1675e65f586f453ae1953ab5a321d.jpg

So it's 4m x 5m ..?? 

Assuming you can get a wall plate securely rawl bolted to the existing house then you should be ok with C16 195x44 @400mm centres running in the direction of the house to the garden. I would double up the ones under the edges of the lantern and use proper timber hangers for the ones running under the long sides. 

Don't forget to leave a 15mm recess all around the inside of your kerb to allow for plasterboard when you're measuring for your lantern. 

That seems slightly light? Our 900x2400 (plus upstand dims) weighed 138kgs, although it's triple glazed.  If double glazed should be right but still seems on the light side. 

Is it being build in situ? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So it's 4m x 5m ..?? 

Assuming you can get a wall plate securely rawl bolted to the existing house then you should be ok with C16 195x44 @400mm centres running in the direction of the house to the garden. I would double up the ones under the edges of the lantern and use proper timber hangers for the ones running under the long sides. 

Don't forget to leave a 15mm recess all around the inside of your kerb to allow for plasterboard when you're measuring for your lantern. 

great, will do. Thanks so much.

21 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

That seems slightly light? Our 900x2400 (plus upstand dims) weighed 138kgs, although it's triple glazed.  If double glazed should be right but still seems on the light side. 

Is it being build in situ? 

I got that from the supplier but I'll double check - thanks.