G98 PV Schematic

JohnMo

Hi being asked for a schematic showing the PV system showing inverter model and rating, for G98 approval.  Anyone got a copy of something that has been accepted, that I could use, modify or copy.

Many thanks

Ive got a pdf version that has informal approval for the G99 application Ive just submitted. You can probably edit it with a pdf edittor or tipex. PM your email address and Ill send it through.

If you want to donate a tenner to Alzheimers Society I can update the CAD source file with your details and produce a bespoke pdf from that. PM your email address, house address, MPAN number and description of the location of the PV isolator

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@JohnMo Do you mind me asking how you got on with this? I'm very curious about how ordinary people (not installation companies) would go about notifying their DNO about self-installed equipment. I downloaded a copy of g98 form B Installation document for connection under G98 and it showed no indication of there being a need for a schematic.

Mine is still going through.  They also asked for the original documentation, when I asked what they were looking for, I just got a reply, please send through all the original documents.  So I printed a type approval cert from the internet for the inverter and sent that, attached an email.

They were quite determined I had to give a schematic.  Still not sure if they have accepted the schematic I sent them.

Got the electrician to sign the g98 form as the qualified person.

Thanks for the reply. It's really hard to find out what's required 'of us' when it comes to DIY solar. I've wasted yet another day trying to get to the bottom of the issues without any success. As far as I can determine the interested parties might be (in no particular order and there may be others):

1. Distribution Network Operator
  2. Electricity supplier
  3. Local Planning Authority
  4. Home insurer
  5. Mortgage Lender

But the very bottom line would be 'the law'. In extremis, 'ignorance of the law is no defence' - but I simply can't find any clear legal obligation placed on an individual who chooses to set up a solar PV array and connect an inverter to the grid. The closest to such a thing might be The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 but even this is ambiguous in the case of "plug in solar" - which is a thing in case anyone's wondering.

5 hours ago, Radian said:

But the very bottom line would be 'the law'. In extremis, 'ignorance of the law is no defence' - but I simply can't find any clear legal obligation placed on an individual who chooses to set up a solar PV array and connect an inverter to the grid. The closest to such a thing might be The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 but even this is ambiguous in the case of "plug in solar" - which is a thing in case anyone's wondering.

Have a look at your contract with your electricity supplier and I think youll find it includes a reference to a "national supply agreement" or something similar that governs your connection to the grid. Youll likely find something in there.

Edit-It National Terms Of Connection that you want

Edited by Dillsue
  • Thanks 1

“Maximum Export Capacity” means, in respect of a Connection Point (or the Connection
Points collectively), the maximum amount of electricity (expressed in kW or kVA) which is
permitted by the Company to flow into the Distribution System through the Connection Point
(or the Connection Points collectively). The Maximum Export Capacity of the Connection
Point shall be zero unless otherwise agreed; 

At last. On page 53, An actual statement declaring that an agreement must be reached with the DNO before exporting a Watt. No, make that an attowatt - that's more than zero. Duh.

To complete the thread, I have attached an approved G98 Schematic, now my system has been approved by DNO.  Also included was the G98 form completed.  Electrical Contractor signed as installer.  I signed everything else.  Also attached type approval certificate for the inverter with my application.

G98 PV Schematic example.pdf

• Like 2