Lowering foundations, barn conversion

daunker

I have a steel portal barn for conversion for conversion to house. The external walls and steels are to be retained. The slab has a fall on it (used to be milking parlour), I presume I would be ok to build inner cavity wall, and internal walls on a sloping pad? Or do I need to do something about this.

I hoped building walls on it and then I could level it with something prior to dpm and makeup of insulation and screed on top.

However in the other half of building the foundation steps up about 5". I would be keen to lower to match as this side would otherwise be v low and have a step in house. However here the external wall 6" block is built up on the slab I'd like to cut and remove. Is it possible/realistic to cut and break this out- with the external wall remaining in place and then tie in to new foundations?

I have asked structural engineer but he's away this week, and wondered if others on here had come accross.

Thanks!!

You may find you need to do a lot of foundation work anyway, agri buildings are not built to residential or commercial standards and sinking foundations is sort of accepted.

there is always a way to do something, but without seeing what you are dealing with and ground conditions etc. It is very difficult to be specific.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, is structural engineer the go-to guy for this, or could I get advice from elsewhere? The slab was built to good spec, and was done mid 90s but is not reinforced. We are heavy clay here, but I don't know what is underneath the slab, there is a corner I could excavate would that help?

I have converted a stable, similar 1990s vintage.

The SE specified several trial holes to be dug in the foundations and in the slab for him to inspect. The first SE wanted underpinning all round, so I sought a second opinion. The second SE wanted more inspection holes then said that as long as we didn't dig out the slab, the foundations were adequate. There was significant cost differential, but of course we couldn't get in as much floor insulation as I would have liked. 

• Like 1