Vents on Exterior Block Work

Site GoFor

I have recently moved into my home in Northern Ireland. Timber frame construction with Block work on outer skin. Majority of the blockwork is plastered with KRend and a portion finished with Natural Stone.

When my builder was here he discussed with me the inclusion of prepend vents. The discussion concluded that in his view you don't need them and that some people put them in and others don't. He left them out. I got a little nervous before plastering and decided to include the below weep vents at 1200 below the interior floor level and under the sofit.

image.png.b80640eb0c6802e846e03bbc5856ba7c.png

I don't have anything between GF and FF and there is Red Rockwool Fire Barrier around the building at this level and up the corners.

I was looking for some professional views on this.

1. Are the vents required?

2. What is the risk if they are not there?

3. Is what I have sufficient?

4. Are there any professional services that could come out and give me advice on this?

I'm not qualified to give you an opinion.

But I have faced lots of problems of the type you describe on my build.  And when that happened, one thing I did which almost always helped,  was to go around the locality and look to see how others have solved the problem.  

I found building site managers always helpful once I'd introduced myself and asked if I could go and have a look. The visits were almost always instructive - and I learned loads about other build-related issues too.  I got asked why I was lurking once or twice .... 

The producers of Prepend Vents will have a view on your problem too. Look at their website and see if they have  a Tech support service.

Ian