Kitchen and utility extraction

James94

Looking for some advice on the best way of extracting the kitchen and utility.

We’re having a recirculating hob, and would like to duct it out to the garage gable and have minimal holes on show. Can this share a duct?

James 

39297B27-826F-4E5E-9681-51CAB45E2D13.jpeg

Recently I've been installing extractor fans and a lot of them  say "duct run no more than 3 meters."

Some extractors can be set up with back draft shutters to use the same duct.

Personally I would not want to do it. Too many ways it can go wrong... 

Good luck 

Marvin

Edited by Marvin

Short answer would be no as described. 

But a recirculating hood, has a grease and carbon filter, so the outflow back in to the room will be mostly clean.  To comply with building regs you will need extract outdoors also.  A small MEV with shared ducts would then be ok or 2 dMEV would suit.  The longer the duct the bigger the pressure drop and the bigger the fan required.

Thanks for the replies, I have been looking at some of the fans that say they can do longer ducting. I’ve seen the dmev’s which would do the job, but they run continuously and I’m worried that the lots of heat from the rooms will be lost?

James 

dMEV flow rates being continuos are quite low. They give you good ventilation and the losses are not that high, if you do the calculations.  If your that concerned about heat loss do heat recovery with dMVHR units. But look at capital cost and running cost v heat loss.

17 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Short answer would be no as described. 

But a recirculating hood, has a grease and carbon filter, so the outflow back in to the room will be mostly clean.  To comply with building regs you will need extract outdoors also.  A small MEV with shared ducts would then be ok or 2 dMEV would suit.  The longer the duct the bigger the pressure drop and the bigger the fan required.

air from recirculation hood is only as good as the filters permitted. I believe premium brand products could perform better but you can never tell until you have the system purchased and installed (and no turning back).