How flush with the windows should internal PIR be placed?

Thorfun

didn't want to start a whole new thread for a quick question so thought I'd just tag it on to this one.

I have 80mm PIR and 25mm battens. what length screws should I be using to go into the TF studs? I've been thinking 150mm which would give 45mm into the studs. is this enough?

8 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

didn't want to start a whole new thread for a quick question so thought I'd just tag it on to this one.

I have 80mm PIR and 25mm battens. what length screws should I be using to go into the TF studs? I've been thinking 150mm which would give 45mm into the studs. is this enough?

Yes.  Obvs drill the battens with 6mm bit.

Edited by Mr Punter

19 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

You could pre drill all the battens at once.  Maybe stack them and do 3 at a time.  Easy to get the spacings OK and you can set them up at worktop height.  Cut to correct length.

yeah. I know this is the right thing to do and it shouldn't take too long but, at the moment, the thought of cutting and drilling a pilot hold just fills me with lethargy!

out of interest, I thought pilot holes should be narrower than the screw size? so for a no. 6 screw the drill bit should be smaller than 6mm for the pilot hole. I presume this is not the case?

No you want the screw to be able to pass through the material.  If you pre-drill, you can just secure each batten with the top screw, then load the rest of the screws in the holes, plumb up the battens and have a screw fest without picking up screws / drill.

31 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

No you want the screw to be able to pass through the material.  If you pre-drill, you can just secure each batten with the top screw, then load the rest of the screws in the holes, plumb up the battens and have a screw fest without picking up screws / drill.

ahhh....that makes perfect sense and sounds like a plan! 

thank you. 🙂