Where do i put DPM in window reveals

dogman

Hopefully an easy one

Munster need the DPM fitted before they fit the windows. They don't (won't) use compriband. and want it all in place before fitting.

Where do i put DPM in an MBC timberframe. I assume you need it under the doors and patios, but where else. 

How does it work with the air tight tape. Outside will be rendered and timber clad.

Ask Munster, as it is their windows.  Some systems have self adhesive EDPM, some have fairly large external gap plus Compriband, other have small gap and silicone, most have gun foam.  Some have internal air tightness tape. The details are endless (and confusing) and as they are supplying and fitting the windows, ask what they require to guarantee the air tightness / water-tightness reduction in condensation risk and u-values required.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok asked Munster and the reply was "Munster Joinery do not get involved or recommend any DPC.". MBC reply " don't normally need it but put it under doors"

As in a previous post i have sorted out how to flash the top of the frame / opening see

However this does not say if i need a DPC down each Jamb and the frame and under the Cill and frame or Cill and slab.

All Munster will do is fit secure and foam. 

Anyone help with how/ where they put DPC

Why do you want to put a DPC under the windows?

I've not heard of doing this, and we didn't do it, we just folded back the external membrane into the window reveals, let Munster fit the windows, then I went around and foamed them all, before MBC came back to do the internal stuff and tape them up.

We do have the DPM running under the doors, because it's there anyway on the outer part of the insulation upstand that the cills go over.

Edited by JSHarris

Thanks @JSHarris I think it was mentioned because we were having fake Eps stonecote cills under some of the windows. However these are bonded to the cement board and sit under the windows external cill and become part of the render system.

What you describe is how i thought it should be done i just got worried when i was told it was down to me and Munster were less than helpful. It was very much "we will turn up and fit and foam. If we have to wait for any adjustments the window will be left and a charge made to come back and fit."

MBC confirmed what you have stated but did mention that they have seen some sort of compressible silicon tape that goes between cill and slab but he couldn't remember the name. It helps seal the frame to the floor. It is not compriband but some other product in a wide tape