Ecodan W60 R32 and cooling and pipework layout?

jfb

Looking at a 6kw W60 R32 Ecodan ASHP as seen here with a pre plumbed cylinder:

https://les.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/products/heating/domestic/outdoor/ecodan-r32-ultra-quiet-puz-monobloc-air-source-heat-pump

Anyone know if, as with some of the other ecodan units, it is possible to flip a switch (or something like that) to enable cooling?

I tried asking Mitsubishi and they didn't want to say or were arguing that using an ASHP for cooling was inherently inefficient (which surprised me - is there any truth in that?).

If such a mode does exist and can be enabled can someone say what difference to the plumbing layout is required to cater for potential cooling (I seem to remember reading something on buildhub about this - something to prevent cool water going to the UVC presumably).

And is a plumbing schematic that allows for cooling going to fall foul of any RHI/replacement incentive regulations and signing off

Cheers all

28 minutes ago, jfb said:

Anyone know if, as with some of the other ecodan units, it is possible to flip a switch (or something like that) to enable cooling?

I can't vouch for that exact model, but we have the 8.5kW one, which also uses the FTC6 controller, and that does support cooling. As you suspect, it's a dip-switch flip inside the controller to enable it

41 minutes ago, jfb said:

using an ASHP for cooling was inherently inefficient (which surprised me - is there any truth in that?).

It depends on the heat emitters. Conventional (non-fan) radiators would really struggle. UFH can work at a very low and slow level of cooling. Fan assisted rads / FCU can work well if all sized correctly.

42 minutes ago, jfb said:

And is a plumbing schematic that allows for cooling going to fall foul of any RHI/replacement incentive regulations and signing off

We used a standard schematic, 2 position valve to switch between heating and UVC, nothing stands out as being designed for cooling.
We used an electronic motorised mixing valve for the UFH, which allows it to adjust set point for cooling vs heating mode, but this is a standard supported design for the FTC6, recommended when using it for 2 heating zones with differing flow temperatures, regardless of enabling cooling

The key thing is ensuring that ALL pipework, valves, pumps, etc are fully insulated/lagged so no condensation can form anyway.

Also ensure you have a buffer tank sized for the cooling as well as heating pattern.

• Thanks 1