Concrete or porcelain slabs

fiaraziqbal

Hi all i need a small area (about 20 sqm) either concreted or slabbed, The only reason i am in two minds to pour a concrete slab is tha its surounded by my trees and i am concerened that chemicals leaching will damage them.  My other option is tiles and probably porcelain but agin i dont wish to lay any cocncrete and i dont mind dealing with a few popping up.  Opinions? advice? thanks all

While wet there is a chance of some chemical leaching but concrete is predominantly natural.

damp proof membrane under the slab will prevent and escape of liquids while drying.

if you lay slabs you will need something under them which is much more likely to cause a problem.

4 minutes ago, Ralph said:

We are in the same position regarding the trees so went for these https://royalestones.co.uk/eclipse-mid-grey-virtue-vitrified-porcelain-paving-slabs-1200x600-pack.html

We are really happy with then but I would not want to lay them without a concrete or mortor base

Thnaks, i know thw idea o f laying without mortar is questionable, one of my trees i planted many years ago and teh cherries are just so juicy!

4 minutes ago, markc said:

While wet there is a chance of some chemical leaching but concrete is predominantly natural.

damp proof membrane under the slab will prevent and escape of liquids while drying.

if you lay slabs you will need something under them which is much more likely to cause a problem.

7 minutes ago, markc said:

thanks, really have to give it some thought as laying the porcelain tiles without mortar is questonable... maybe paving blocks on sand?

1 minute ago, fiaraziqbal said:

thanks, really have to give it some thought as laying the porcelain tiles without mortar is questonable... maybe paving blocks on sand?

Depends what you will use the area for? If it’s for BBQ etc. Then at times you will wash the floor and that will cause bleach or similar to go through the sand and into the soil anyway.

trees are very good at looking after themselves, take a look at any old railway line, very toxic environment from grease, oil, ash, creosote (from sleepers) weed killers etc. Yet trees (especially silver birch) thrive in the “toxic” soil